Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on May 11, 2008May 11th, 2008, 4:39 pm EDT
I seem to have gotten my 2 piece fly rod stuck together...I can't disconnect it to collapse it down. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get the 2 pieces separated and unstuck? I don't want to force it and break it. Thanks all.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
GARRETT
GARRETT on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 12:09 am EDT
1. Try pouring cold water over the joint. 2.If that does not do it try heat on the outer section and ice on the inner section. 3.Still no success? Try warming with a hair dryer. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERHEAT! 4.If trying alone hold the sections behind your legs at the knees and pull (carefully). 5.Still no luck ? Go by the fly shop and try their ideas! I ended up returning my rod to the manufacturer and they had to break the sections. I would like to know how to prevent it.
DayTripper
DayTripper's profile picture
Northern MI

DayTripper on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 2:42 am EDT
To prevent it, rub the male ferrules behind your ear, on your nose, etc. The oils on your skin will help keep them from getting stuck.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 4:55 am EDT
the old fashioned way to prevent rods from sticking together or coming apart when you're fishing is to lightly rub the inside part of the joint with a birthday candle before putting to together. some folks say this makes a mess. some folk have never cast both the line and the top section of the rod at the only fish of the day!

here is one more way to unstick a rod: wash and completely dry your hands so they have no oils on them. grab the rod, one hand on either side of the joint. try to twist the joint to loosen it. sometimes a rubber band will help you grip it better. be very careful not to put any pressure at all on the guides! sometimes the warm friction of your hand on the outside part of the joint will help too.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 6:06 am EDT
Are we talking about a metal ferrule or a graphite/glass self-ferrule?

If it's a metal ferrule (especially on precious older split cane), I'd be very cautious about the application of any significant heat or twisting. The "behind the knees" technique that GARRETT suggests or pulling with a partner's help (each with a hand on tip and butt) would probably be the safest approach.

For prevention, Alex's nose grease suggestion is traditional for metal ferrules on cane. Other lubricants might tend to increase suction on a snug-fitting metal ferrule. As Casey suggests, paraffin is a standard recommendation for lubricating graphite/glass self-ferrules. Just be careful to keep the waxed area free of grit.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 12:47 pm EDT
I've always lubricated the ferrule with graphite from a lead pencil. It's less greasy or waxy and will not cause the suction problems that petroleum products might. All the suggestions for getting the ferrule apart are pretty good. A friend of mine had this problem with a very nice cane rod, We ran some medium hot water on the female-outer part, and she came apart.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 3:45 pm EDT
Mark, how do you get the pencil graphite on to the ferule? it can't be as fiddly as it sounds. graphite isn't going to melt into the fabric of myvest on a hot summer day, or leave goopy lumps sometimes.

a sudden "ah-ha!" moment suggests the stub of a carpenter's pencil; the fat lead would offer an easy applicator.

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 3:56 pm EDT
Thanks to all for the suggestions and prevention tips but I regret to inform you that the rod broke as I tried to pull it apart. I tried the cold water and the hot water tricks but to no avail...rest in peace trusty 3 wt. rod.

I shall find a suitable replacement soon. And then I will make sure to take steps to prevent this from happening again.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 12, 2008May 12th, 2008, 4:07 pm EDT
Bummer, Jason. :(
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 13, 2008May 13th, 2008, 1:01 am EDT
Casey,
as you have surmised, simply rub it on via the pencil, Or you can shave a little off with a sharp knife onto a piece of paper or small plastic container, making it into a powder. This can be applied with your fingers. Years ago, one could purchase powdered graphite in little squeeze bottle which was used to lubricate locks which were sticking. Check with your local hardware store.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on May 13, 2008May 13th, 2008, 12:21 pm EDT
Auto parts stores sell little tubes of graphite
for squirting into key slots.
That keeps them well lubricated.

That reminds me of the time I inherited a non
nondescript bamboo rod of a foreign make, which
was a real piece of junk.
Well anyway one day on the stream I needed to
make a long cast and you guessed it; the rod
flew apart.
Then a fish took the fly!
So here I am trying to land a what I thought
to be a good fish while the tip kept sliding
down the line as I was retrieving.
Turned out to be a sucker, and another one
for messing with shoddy equipment.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 13, 2008May 13th, 2008, 1:31 pm EDT
Nice story, Dick.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Gary
Wethersfield Ct.

Gary on May 16, 2008May 16th, 2008, 3:11 pm EDT
I wish I read this earlier. You might still have a 2 piece rod. If this happens again with your new rod or if it happens to anyone else get some WD40 and spray it on the joint. Give it a minute and pull them apart. Its hard to believe the WD40 gets inside the joint but it does.
The sound of a trout stream is music to my ears. www.ctflyfish.org
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on May 16, 2008May 16th, 2008, 4:20 pm EDT
I actually tried the WD40 trick and it wouldn't work. I must have really gotten them stuck. I found out that the rod was actually a lesser quality than I had originally believed it to be. I went out this evening and purchased a new Temple Fork Signature Series 3wt 7'6" setup. It is really nice and light. Feels like it is of a much higher quality...and the lifetime warranty means I'll never have to worry even if it does get stuck. Can't wait to hit the water on Sunday.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 17, 2008May 17th, 2008, 10:32 am EDT
Many years ago on the Big Horn a friend of mine was fooling around false casting his rod with no fly on the tippet. Well the sections were not seated well and after a few forward casts the tip section went flying out of the butt section and before he could do anything it slid right down the fly line and all thhe way down the leader and into the river never to be seen again.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 17, 2008May 17th, 2008, 11:25 am EDT
Well the sections were not seated well and after a few forward casts the tip section went flying out of the butt section and before he could do anything it slid right down the fly line and all thhe way down the leader and into the river

That happens to me way too often. Luckily it's always been with a big enough fly that the hook caught on the last guide and I could reel my rod-tip back in. Hopefully that luck doesn't run out.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 17, 2008May 17th, 2008, 11:35 am EDT
Jason (N.),

Two of my rods have ferrules that work loose while fishing. I use beeswax on these instead of paraffin--it helps reduce the incidence of casting off the tip.
Jfarrell1st
Meriden CT

Jfarrell1st on Jun 2, 2008June 2nd, 2008, 2:58 pm EDT
I'm a machinist and if you take two pieces of rod (any metal or strong non metal) about the same length and drill a hole thru, just big enough to slide on the rod. Cut lengthwise a slot (or two to make two half sleeves if you can't get it over the rings). If you cut twice you get two halfs which will fit both rod portions. Now take two vicegrips TM and clamp. Attempt twisting motions and pull or take a hammer and tap one in a direction away from the joint. These sleeves will proect the shank(s) and avoid marring/crushing them.
Good luck
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jun 4, 2008June 4th, 2008, 10:36 am EDT
sit down with your knees together, put the ferrule in front of your knees, grab both ends of your rod with your forearms just outside of your legs, seperate by pressing your legs against your arms.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
Mbogdan70
Baltimore

Mbogdan70 on Aug 21, 2008August 21st, 2008, 9:03 am EDT
WD40 works like magic!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply