Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Little hen
Average PA steelhead
Big buck all colored up - 30".
You will note these are just 2D eyes.  I now only use 3D eyes
I don't know if the addition of the lateral line is really required.  But adding them is pretty easy so I keep doing it.  It appears this fly doesn't have it.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 2, 2020October 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am EDT
These fish were all caught on that emerald shiner pattern.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 2, 2020October 2nd, 2020, 8:46 am EDT
Beautiful Matt, luckily for you the Lake Erie steelhead fishery has crashed, I wish I could say the same for the lake Huron fishery. The Ausable River below Foote dam is a nothing like it was in the 80's. But I you simply have to adjust for that fishery, so I did, and now I find myself fishing for trout in the special regs fisheries. I really enjoy streamer fishing, and Im always looking for new patterns to try.
Mike.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 2, 2020October 2nd, 2020, 11:28 am EDT
I re-posted two of the pictures.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply