Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Well, I did promise my folks I would bring them some fresh trout for Thanksgiving
Almost too big for the net!
Yesterday's catch, this one's in the freezer too
Rainbow trout like the rainbow variant
A log growing a beard??  Hedgehog fungus, Hericium erinaceus
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 5, 2016November 5th, 2016, 1:58 pm EDT
Last year at this time I broke my personal rainbow trout record on this same lake with a 16-incher. This one makes that one look small!! My new record measured 18 1/2" and weighed 3 pounds and took a #6 rainbow KBF with silver-painted lead dumbbell eyes, and fought like hell, jumping several times in the (at least) 5 minutes it took for me to get the net under her (5 very long minutes!). Everything held, but when I got her in the boat I saw the fly was out of her mouth, laying in the net...that was a close call!!! Being a stocker with no hope of reproducing in a lake with no streams, I took her home and found her to be full of eggs, and with some beetles and backswimmers in her stomach, and flesh pink like a salmon. Yesterday brought home a nice 12-incher that took, believe or not, a grasshopper imitation! I also got three other trout today that were 9-10" and so went back in. Also was visited several times by a magnificent bald eagle, and saw a hedgehog fungus on a log on the way in.

Man, I sure can remember some shitty Novembers here in MI, but like last year we are again being gifted with beautiful warm weather, so fly fishing continues until further notice...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 6, 2016November 6th, 2016, 10:04 am EST
Way to go Jonathon, I would just as soon skip winter and go straight to spring. I was up on the rifle a couple of weeks ago, my first skunk and when I got home my left knee was killing me, went to the doc. this week and found out I have a torn ligament. I have a hernia and now this that need to be repaired so I'm going to concentrate on healing for awhile.

Mike
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Nov 22, 2016November 22nd, 2016, 7:31 am EST
WTG Jonathan!

Quick Reply