Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Barbaube
Barbaube's profile picture
France

Barbaube on Jan 14, 2020January 14th, 2020, 5:33 am EST
Happy New Year!

I have already 4 rods I use for trout fishing, in rivers and lakes.

- 7'6ft 4wt glass for creeks and intimate water
- 9ft 4wt for medium rivers
- 10ft 4wt for euro nymphing, large rivers and lakes
- 9ft 6 wt for streamers or windy conditions

Objectively, the only rod I would maybe, maybe need is an 8wt for fishing big streamers on lakes...

The problem is that I like toys and I have found a great deal on an 8ft 2wt and an 8ft 4wt, both have progressive actions. But where would these rods fit in my quiver? What do these respective rod do best? I'm looking for an excuse to by one or the other, so any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks,

N.
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Jan 15, 2020January 15th, 2020, 10:18 am EST
My favorite rod is my 6' 2wt that I fish on small mountains streams and some small ponds. I only throw small dries with this rod. I will fish with an indicator and a San Juan worm or a nymph but it's hard to throw it with the indicator so I do a lot of slingshot casts or float it into position. My first rod ever was a 8' 4wt that I always enjoy breaking out. Sorta my first love. My first fish fly fishing was caught on that rod. Doesn't quite have the guts I want for larger flies but for the delicate presentation of a size 14-20 Royal Wulff about 20-30 ft out it's my go to. I bring it on every trip I go. I've also used both of these rods using small dries for panfish also. These guys on this forum have a lot more expertise than myself but hopefully my 2 cents will at least be helpful.

Quick Reply