Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Fontagne
Fontagne on Feb 19, 2009February 19th, 2009, 1:54 pm EST
Hello All,

I am looking to invest in a streamer rod and was wondering what weight to buy. I gather most people use a 7 or an 8, but which, or does it matter? I'd use it mostly for trout and bass, with a light sinking line. Is it just a matter of taste or is there a definite answer. Thanks so much, I appreciate any and all responses!
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Feb 19, 2009February 19th, 2009, 2:47 pm EST
it is def. a matter of taste, but match your rod to the quarry your after. the problem you run into is that a 7 is a bit heavy for most trout situations and 6 a bit light for bass. That being said I would pick a 7 if I could only choose one.
Fontagne
Fontagne on Feb 21, 2009February 21st, 2009, 7:19 am EST
Thanks Little J,

I'm probably leaning towards a 7 weight. I have a good 5 weight and it's nowhere near stiff enough to throw the big streamers I want to so I'm thinking a 6 won't be sufficient either. Would an 8 weight just be overkill?
Sandfly
tioga co. pa.

Sandfly on Feb 22, 2009February 22nd, 2009, 4:23 am EST
I have a 8 1/2 foot 6wt, thats good for streamers Mid to tip flex rod.I plan one using it to throw flies this yaer for walleyes, bass, and small wipers below some dams here..
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 23, 2009February 23rd, 2009, 6:01 pm EST
I fish streamers frequently and there has seldom been a situation where my 9' #7 Gatti has not meet the challenge. Hwever if you plan to be throwing #1 - #3/0 streamers more often than the #10 - #2 flies you should really consider a fast 9' #8 otherwise you'll just knock yourself out trying to throw those larger flies with the #7.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply