Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mcflyangler
Mcflyangler's profile picture
New Mexico, United States

Mcflyangler on Feb 17, 2017February 17th, 2017, 5:07 am EST
Appropriately named the "slump buster" is really a buster of slumps. This fly is so easy to tie, yet so effective! You can tie up 10-20 in an hour, and is effective for so many species of fish. Its tail moves wonderfully, the front body is wide almost like a sculpin, and its got enough weight to give some jig action. You can catch bass, crappie, small pike, many species of saltwater fish, and mostly trout. In fact, the last time I fished with this fly I caught a nice 24-25" wild brown trout on the Animas River, in Durango Colorado. This is for sure one of my go to streamers for trout fishing. Being so easy to tie, I always have a few of these in my box.

Hook: Umpqua U301 - size 10
Thread: UTC ultra thread 70 - Brown/olive
Weight: 4.8mm brass cone head
Body: UTC sparkle braid - UV Fl. chartreuse
Tail and head: Pine squirrel strips: Sculpin olive.
Mc Fly Angler
http://www.mcflyangler.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/mcflylures
Shawryliak
PA

Shawryliak on May 4, 2017May 4th, 2017, 12:16 am EDT
I going to be tying a lot of these! THANKS!
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 5, 2017May 5th, 2017, 12:07 pm EDT
I going to be tying a lot of these! THANKS!

Yeah, right.

Quick Reply