Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Summer_doug has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Productive riffles in summer... and now winter
The only fish of the day
Working the confluence of a creek
Remnants of the flood
An odd find

Report at a Glance

General RegionNortheastern Michigan
Specific LocationRifle River
Dates Fished3/24/2018
Time of DayMorning and Afternoon
Fish CaughtBrown Trout

Details and Discussion

Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Mar 26, 2018March 26th, 2018, 1:53 am EDT
A couple friends and I headed out to the trusty Rifle River. Given that my fishing buddy is moving across the country in a month and the Rifle has been our spot, we decided to head out even though the weather has been very cold.

We were saddened to see that a trusty access point for catch-and-release anglers has been reclaimed by the landowner because some shady characters were not on board with the catch-and-release requirement. As a result, we tried two other familiar access points.

The water looked good, but we battled low temps all day. We struck out with every trusty nymph before the slump-busting white woolly bugger (#12) saved us from a skunk. Swung through the tail-end of some riffles, the little brown smashed the fly and fought harder than his size indicated. A couple more tiny brown trout were lost at hook-up and one football-shaped steelhead gave us the cold shoulder repeatedly.

Here's to the warmer weather and hatches on their way!
From Michigan
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Mar 26, 2018March 26th, 2018, 2:48 am EDT
I've never fished the Rifle, made the drive over there a couple times only to find it blown out.

Water level should be good rt now.

Don't know how the east coast tribs have been doing the last few years with Huron struggling but I would think it's perfect time for steelheading.

Getting some breakfast and the I'm headed out to find some today.

We need some rain
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 26, 2018March 26th, 2018, 4:03 am EDT
Oh yeah, nice piece of water! I know it well. Thanks for posting pics! Yeah, that water looks pretty good for late March. Might have to take a drive over there myself on a warm(er) day.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Mar 26, 2018March 26th, 2018, 8:11 am EDT
It was very nice and very wadeable. On a warmer day, I guarantee that they are ready to play.

You might already know which of the spots is more productive, Jonathon. I recommend that spot as it looked very good - even in the cold!
From Michigan
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 26, 2018March 26th, 2018, 12:44 pm EDT
Supposed to hit 46 F on Thursday, and I'm giving an exam so I should be done with class early...see any insect life out there at all? Midges, BWO's...? Then again, I could swing the POG Bugger and KBFs if the water clarity is good. If I do, you'll hear about it! Probably the Selkirk access.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Mar 26, 2018March 26th, 2018, 11:10 pm EDT
Is the Selkirk access still okay? When we were there, the old parking sign had been taken down and I didn't feel like parking on the shoulder.

There was absolutely nothing happening above or below water. With the warmer weather coming through, I bet it will pick up though.

Let me know how you do!
From Michigan
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Mar 27, 2018March 27th, 2018, 11:16 am EDT
Thanks for the pics doug, yea this winter just does not want to give it up. But it looks you guys had a good day. Hopefully things will continue to become more normal like and we can get out and enjoy some of our streams here in Michigan.

Mike.

Quick Reply