Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dossphoto
virginia

Dossphoto on Feb 19, 2010February 19th, 2010, 10:48 pm EST
I found this fly hatching somewhat heavily the other day. Air temp was around 33°F and the water temp was 39°F. I was in the Smith River in Southern Virginia. Anyone have any ideas?

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 20, 2010February 20th, 2010, 8:05 am EST
Darrin-

Not a midge (family Chironomidae); appears to be a black fly (family Simuliidae).
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Dossphoto
virginia

Dossphoto on Feb 20, 2010February 20th, 2010, 12:03 pm EST
Thanks!

I had always thought of black flies as being a warmer weather fly. I wasn't really expecting them this time of year. Although that does explain why the fish were ignoring my black midge patterns.
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Feb 21, 2010February 21st, 2010, 11:38 am EST
if the fish were rising to these "blackflies" and you had a fly of the same size, general shape and shade(+/-) then they should have taken your offering as long as it was presented well.
a trout does not know latin the way some of us do. they will eat what is available.
maybe taxon can tell us if there are differences in how a midge emerges vs a blackfly.
i am wondering if these bugs are related to the african blackfly (also simuliidae) that are the vector for river blindness (Onchocerca volvulus). i learned some latin, too as a research student studying parasitology.
also are these related to the horrific bahamian bug that bears the same common name? a bonefish guide once responded to my question of "what kind of insects are they" as "dey bitey bugs mon"
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 21, 2010February 21st, 2010, 3:09 pm EST
Tony-

Don't have any experience with fishing to emerging black flies, but would observe they have a different profile that a chironomid, as they are much wider for their length. My suspicion would be that, much like chironomids, their pupal lifestage would be the one more successfully imitated by a fly fisher.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 22, 2010February 22nd, 2010, 10:31 pm EST
"a trout does not know latin the way some of us do. they will eat what is available."

I agree with Mr. Cutter, if your black midge pattern was similar in size and shape to the emering insect, and you presented the fly properly, in most cases the fish would eat your offering.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply