Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

By Troutnut on July 16th, 2018

I'm enjoying having such scenery like this within range of a quick after-work fishing trip here in Washington. I caught a whopper for this river at 11" long, but 6-8" was the norm.

Photos by Troutnut from the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River in Washington

Middle Fork Snoqualmie

From the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River in Washington
The Middle Fork Snoqualmie River in Washington
The Middle Fork Snoqualmie River in Washington

Comments / replies

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 18, 2018July 18th, 2018, 3:45 pm EDT
WOW that scenery is insane! What a spectacular place to have as a regular, easy-access fishing spot. I thought my fishing spots were pretty (see my latest post)! Thanks for sharing.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 19, 2018July 19th, 2018, 12:03 pm EDT
Second Jonathons take on your after work fishing spots! That is just some crazy beautiful scenery. And the fish are pretty cool to! My wife visited my mom and dad last year near sedonna Arizona, we took the jeep ride up to the red rock country and that was cool, but no were as nice as the country you live in! God my after work fishing spots used to be the Saginaw river for walleyes. You are very fortunate to be were your at, maybe one day I can make it out there.

Mike.
Paulhokenes
Paulhokenes's profile picture
San Diego

Paulhokenes on Jul 21, 2018July 21st, 2018, 8:14 am EDT
I’m new here. I have been hunting the world over for a OB-6 Galvan rod for years now. If anyone has one or knows of one please ping me. Even if you know somebody who wants a new reel and would trade up. I have the 1-5 and need the 6 to be whole.

Paulhokeness@san.rr.com

God bless

Paul hokeness

Quick Reply