Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This discussion is about Toughannock Creek.

My then-girlfriend, now-wife took this picture with my camera.

From Toughannock Creek in New York
I believe this is the highest free-falling waterfall in the East.  The pool below it is off-limits to fishing but probably isn't that great, anyway -- by all accounts the stream's trout population is mediocre at best.

From Toughannock Creek in New York
Toughannock Creek in New York
Toughannock Creek in New York
KIngoThings
KIngoThings on Apr 1, 2017April 1st, 2017, 4:16 am EDT
Hi! I've tried to find that bridge in the top photo but can't :(
Where is it please?
Thank you. :)
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 1, 2017April 1st, 2017, 8:30 am EDT
Tap the photo and when it comes up the info is in the lower left hand corner...New York state...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 1, 2017April 1st, 2017, 9:06 am EDT
Oh... And all this time I thought it was on the path to Mordor.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 3, 2017April 3rd, 2017, 4:53 am EDT
Oh... And all this time I thought it was on the path to Mordor.

Paul...posts from you Colorado Boys are getting a tad suspect. ;) You haven't been hitting the medicinal down in Denver have you?

Ha!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 3, 2017April 3rd, 2017, 8:14 am EDT
Medicinal? Spence, it's full-on legal and taxable in CO! You no longer need a prescription to be happy!

And that does look like some scenes from LOTR, the ones they shot in the New Zealand forest areas. Plenty of scenery like that in Oregon, though, and even in some parts of the U.P....and Chile...trout country too! Spectacular fall colors for a backdrop there!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply