Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

VladimirR
VladimirR's profile picture
Krasnoyarsk

VladimirR on Feb 8, 2013February 8th, 2013, 6:19 am EST
Fishing on the fly rod and a Imitation mouse.
Somewhere near the border with Mongolia

http://youtu.be/dJaeCNZF3JE

Videography by Aleksander Bobrovskiy.
Edit video by Vladimir Ryaposov
Music by Vladimir Ryaposov.
www.youtube.com/user/vladimirryaposov
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 8, 2013February 8th, 2013, 6:37 am EST
Very nice video! I especially liked the scene where the fellow stood in the same spot and landed four nice grayling. It looks like a very nice small river.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 8, 2013February 8th, 2013, 7:58 am EST
I'll second that. Thanks for taking us to Siberia for a visit.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
VladimirR
Krasnoyarsk

VladimirR on Feb 8, 2013February 8th, 2013, 11:01 am EST
Thank you friends! I in reserve there are videos from Comrade Alexander. He catches trout on fly rod, and tells of wild medicinal sources ... I will not get ahead of ourselves ... I'll write music and do video editing, then you will see for yourself.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Feb 8, 2013February 8th, 2013, 11:45 am EST
Thank you for taking us on the trip with you.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 8, 2013February 8th, 2013, 12:28 pm EST
Hey Matt,

Doesn't that little Grayling stream look like it could be in MT? Especially the scenes of flyfishing with that hillside covered in changing quakies as a backdrop.

Very nice, Vladimir. BTW - What species were the mouse eaters?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
VladimirR
Krasnoyarsk

VladimirR on Feb 22, 2013February 22nd, 2013, 7:57 am EST
Mause eat Lenok or Taimen.

Quick Reply