Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

VladimirR
VladimirR's profile picture
Krasnoyarsk

VladimirR on Feb 15, 2013February 15th, 2013, 4:00 pm EST
Video report. Fly fishing Taimen in Siberia
The thin fishing line 0.25

http://youtu.be/ql2p3pjrH7Q

Video: Vladimir Ryaposov, Aleksander Bobrovskiy.
Music by Vladimir Ryaposov.
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 16, 2013February 16th, 2013, 5:24 am EST
Big fish; salmon?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 16, 2013February 16th, 2013, 6:41 am EST
Louis,

The fish they caught is a Taimen, it is indigenous to that part of the world and I believe it is the largest trout in the world. I've seen other videos where guys are throwing humongous lemming lures on spinning rods and hooking fish that are 60" and more long.

Here is a link to a great Nat Geo article and video.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/11/071114-taimen-mongolia.html
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 16, 2013February 16th, 2013, 11:40 am EST
Pretty close to the mark, Matt. The Taimen isn't a trout technically (if there even is such a thing), being a species in the genus Hucho. But that subtle point may be moot as it is reportedly the largest salmonid in the world anyway. Nothing even comes close by length, though the Chinook can rival it in weight. Check this out guys! http://fishingtours.corcon.eu/en/New-Record-Giant-Taimen-on-Fly-Fishing-Season-2010.aspx

Hopefully Jason and others will weigh in on just what is a trout by definition. The topic is clear as mud. The common name Taimen is attached to its own genus, as are the names Char, Atlantic Salmon, and Pacific Salmon. On the other hand, "trout" as a common name is now applied rather loosely to many species in the latter 3 genera. Since the cut and rainbow were moved from the genus Salmo to Oncorhynchus, a lot of confusion has reigned because prior to this it was generally understood that trout were in the genus Salmo except where the name was incorrectly applied to some of the species in the genus Salvelinus (Brook Trout, Lake Trout). I grew up with the notion that a Brookie wasn't a "true trout but rather a char." In the current nomenclature, it seems to me that Brookies have as much claim to the name as Rainbows or Cuts since "history of common use" is now the guiding principle. Genus is apparently no longer the "cut" off.;)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
VladimirR
VladimirR's profile picture
Krasnoyarsk

VladimirR on Feb 22, 2013February 22nd, 2013, 7:54 am EST
Yes, it's hard to say. But Taimen is really a bit different.
www.youtube.com/user/vladimirryaposov

Quick Reply