Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Leakinwader
Leakinwader on May 29, 2015May 29th, 2015, 11:03 am EDT
Total beginner here going to Cadillac, Mi and wanted help knowing the best place to wade/fly fish the Ausable that is safe for a beginner. Where to park etc. would be helpful but
any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 30, 2015May 30th, 2015, 5:53 am EDT
Leakin'-

Welcome!

There's a LOT of folks on this site who have experience on the Au Sable, and it's a (fairly) short drive from Cadillac over to the vicinity of Grayling and your destination. While you're in Cadillac give the Clam River(one of my favorites!) a shot, pretty good Brook trout fishing in that stream's upper reaches.

Tight lines,

Roguerat
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 2, 2015June 2nd, 2015, 7:49 pm EDT
Stop in a fly shop in Grayling. Either the Old Au Sable downtown, or Gates' Au Sable Lodge on the river on Stephan Bridge Rd, about 7 miles east of town. At either shop purchase the Au Sable river guide published by the Challenge Chapter of TU. Look up the section on the North Branch and any access upstream of Lovell's bridge. Easy wade. Not too deep. Brooks and Browns.

Have fun.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Dkinva
Dkinva on Oct 14, 2015October 14th, 2015, 7:16 am EDT
No clue about the river but I can tell you a wading staff comes in very handy. I realize many folks are nimble enough to lope around rivers pretty well but I like the help. I paid $40 for one that folds up small enough for a knapsack and it floats. Clip it to your vest so it doesn't get away and you're in business. If you get one, check the bottom for metal and coat it with liquid plastic. Otherwise every time you reposition it goes tink tink tink. Translated to trout speak it means run run run.

Quick Reply