Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
This guy kept an eye on me as I was launching the kayak into Tawas Lake - green-backed heron
Joe & Todd heading out into Tawas Lake
Pretty juicy looking panfish habitat, though we didn't get many strikes
The open lake proved to be a bit too windy...
Brisk enough to drag my itty bitty kayak anchor (with 5 lbs. of weeds)
A two-track to primitive campsites on the north shore of Foote Pond led us here
...and to this
The ice-cold mouth of that creek coming into Foote Pond - and yes, it is designated trout water
Where it actually enters the pond - right into deep water!  Who's waiting down below that nice cold inflow?
Joe getting in some casting practice - he is getting waaay better!
The boys enjoying a cold one
The Three Amigos again! (Man, do I ever look scruffy next to Joe and Todd!)
On to the next spot - yep, there's a whole lotta brookies just below that culvert
Down below that culvert...is it a bog or a fen?
A bog plant, roundleaf sundew (Drosera rotundifolia)
A fen plant, marsh harebell (Campanula aparinoides)
Todd working just below that culvert
Success!
Todd coaching Joe as he works a seam with a nymph
Brookie waters
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 25, 2019July 25th, 2019, 5:47 am EDT
Well folks, I have moved! I am now on the north side of Foote Pond, overlooking a big hill covered in beautiful forest above a cedar swamp (and some springs) that leads down to the river. Through the trees I can see across the Au Sable Valley and sometimes I feel like I'm living in the mountains! So, to celebrate and because they both needed time away from their (high-pressure) corporate jobs, my buddies Joe and Todd came north again for a visit. Not many fish taken, mostly middle-of-the-day exploration because we wanted to party on the back porch in the evenings when I would usually go fishing myself). But, some pretty country seen, and photographed for your viewing pleasure here. Not nearly as spectacular as Jason's trips, but most pleasing in their own North Woods way! Enjoy.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 25, 2019July 25th, 2019, 6:33 am EDT
Nice photos of the northwoods, especially that last one of the brookie stream!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 25, 2019July 25th, 2019, 6:38 am EDT
I saved some exploration for these guys so I myself covered some new territory, like that little cold stream tumbling in from the canyon...thinking there will either be (big) brookies or possibly some (also big!) pike sitting right below that little sand fan at the mouth...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 25, 2019July 25th, 2019, 10:44 am EDT
Beautiful, looks like you guys had a good time! So much to see in northern Michigan, my wife and I are heading up to pictured rocks hoping to do the kayak tour, and camping on the beach in a yurt. I have spent a big part of my season of fishing in the mason tract, which is another treasure! Good to hear from you, take care, Mike.
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Jul 26, 2019July 26th, 2019, 3:25 am EDT
Nice, thanks for posting.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 30, 2019July 30th, 2019, 9:59 am EDT
Thanks for posting Jonathon! Nice photos.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 31, 2019July 31st, 2019, 6:40 am EDT
Thanks to all! I live in a really beautiful place and it's always nice to show it off, especially since I am exploring new territory. More to come on my part!

BTW I still do have accommodations for wayward Troutnuts that find their way to my neck of the woods. I may have lost quite a bit of space but still have the foldout couches! All are invited to come and explore, loads of fish-filled waters to explore!

Jonathon
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Aug 7, 2019August 7th, 2019, 9:09 am EDT
Jonathon...You are showing your age. The heron is just a Green Heron (Butorides virescens) now. ;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 8, 2019August 8th, 2019, 6:42 am EDT
Thanks for the correction Mister Nerder Birder, duly noted. For those that don't know on here, birds are the ONLY group of organisms that have official common names. As in, there is no such thing as a "seagull" or "Canadian goose". Buncha nerds...look who's talking!

;oD

Jonathon

Quick Reply