Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 3:47 pm EST
Just wanted to put in a good word for a certain camera model. If any of you guys are looking a low-price/high-value DSLR for some nice fishing trip pics, then look no further. I see some of you guys have Canon's. This is great, but I couldn't afford to $1000 price tag for some of the models.

So I did some research, and finally purchased an Olympus E-450 DSLR. Olympus primarily makes medical optical equipment and such, so I had doubts, but I've been very happy with the camera since I've had it. It's maybe two years old now, and I got the camera and a lens for around $350 refurbished on ebay. I haven't kept up with DSLR news lately, but at the time, it was one of the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market, good for packing and carrying while fishing. It also was one of the first to have an LCD viewing for taking pictures, but it was a little primitive.

So if you need a good camera in the $300 - $400 range, look for a good used Olympus E-450. It is definitely an underdog, but a good hardy camera for the needs of the outdoorsman. I have been very happy with mine.

Here's a link to a good review: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_e450_review/
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 9:52 am EST
Olympus primarily makes medical optical equipment and such, so I had doubts

They're very well-established in the digital camera market, too. The camera I used to start Troutnut.com was an Olympus point & shoot from 2003 or so.

I'm partial to Canon now, but there's nothing wrong with Olympus and several other brands.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 1:00 pm EST
My brother is a Cannon only guy. I think one of the main reasons is because of there wide variety of lenses with good lens quality for a fair price. The camera bodies are also compatible other lens brands. From my experience I prefer Cannon and Panasonic/Lumix over other brands. Of course the Olympus I tried was an older "point and shoot".
I am looking at buying a Cannon Rebel T3i sometime this spring or summer. The reason I would choose that one over the one you suggested is because there are more lens options which is very crucial for me because I enjoy a large range of subjects from macro to landscape and wildlife. That Olympus looks like a great camera otherwise. Thanks for sharing.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 4:43 pm EST
My brother is a Cannon only guy. I think one of the main reasons is because of there wide variety of lenses with good lens quality for a fair price.

That's why I like Canon, too. Nikon is the same way, and has a similar following. Every other DSLR company is in a tier below them, as far as most professional photographers are concerned, and it's for the reasons you suggested -- the huge variety of high-quality lenses, flashes, and other accessories. That's why I chose Canon -- they have the best macro flash and corresponding macro lenses for the work I do for this site.

The difference between Canon/Nikon and the other companies is not in image quality, although theirs is excellent and they might in fact be the best -- it's just not as large a difference as the lens/accessory variety difference. But the variety of lenses won't be important to many casual to mid-serious hobby photographers, who can be happy with any well-made DSLR with one or two good general lenses. Olympus is probably as fine a choice as anything for someone in that category.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 4:45 pm EST
Canon does make a better camera and there are countless lens combinations, but at 14 I didn't have the resources to get a $1400 camera setup, so I got the Olympus which had nearly every feature the Canon had, only a $1000 less dollars to go with that Canon logo ;)

In a year or so I'll probably be looking for an underwater-capable point-n-shoot. I'd like to get into recreational suba diving and of course for some fly fishing pics!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 4:50 pm EST
Nick,

You're only 14?! Had me fooled... You are a very well spoken young man...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 5:17 pm EST
FisherOfMen wrote:
Olympus primarily makes medical optical equipment and such, so I had doubts

Why would you think that "medical grade" cameras and optics would be inferior to something that isn't used to save someone's life? Cost really isn't an issue when a hundred thousand dollar O.R. is set up, or a million dollar robot is purchased. They all use either Olympus, Karl Storz, Stryker or Fuji optics.
Olympus equipment is equal to or better than anything else that is out there.

An excellent waterproof (to 10 meters) P&S is the Pentax Optio. The older models are tremendously "underpriced" compared to the current model.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 7:46 am EST
My brother probably would not want for me to be talking about him or his cameras with out me mentioning his photography website. It is found here http://www.cyberstream.us/.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 7:55 am EST
You guys are brothers? Well, well, what do you know! What with the NY and AK digs, I never would have guessed. Which one of you is the oldest?

EDIT: Went to the website, and now understand you weren't referring to Nick. His Canon comments threw me off. Sorry about that. :)

Nice website by the way...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 8:25 am EST
Why would you think that "medical grade" cameras and optics would be inferior to something that isn't used to save someone's life?

It's a fair concern, not because medical optics aren't high-quality, but because they are a very different specialty. A lot of non-overlapping expertise goes into producing those and DSLRs, and a company just wetting its feet in either field is bound to be behind a more experienced company in some ways. However, as I mentioned, Olympus has been in the consumer camera market for a long time and they make good stuff.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 12:24 pm EST
Nick,

You're only 14?! Had me fooled... You are a very well spoken young man...

I'm 17. What I meant was, I was 14 when I started saving for a good camera. I was 15 by the time I got it, and I did mention it was two years old. I should say three, because I'll be 18 on Monday! Woot Woot!

Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 1:29 pm EST
Congratulations. BTW - you're still well spoken, even for 18.
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 16, 2012February 16th, 2012, 3:14 pm EST
Happy Birthday FoM!! I know I'm early. I'm just making up for all the times I am late.LOL.
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Feb 18, 2012February 18th, 2012, 9:18 am EST
Thanks, guys!

Quick Reply