Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 5, 2013March 5th, 2013, 9:23 am EST
A couple under water shots from today
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 5, 2013March 5th, 2013, 10:10 am EST
Yep. Presence of a coxal process on the foreleg and a deep irregular notch on the frontoclypeus differentiate the Little Black Caddis from the very similar looking Dolophilodes (Winter Caddis).
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Mar 5, 2013March 5th, 2013, 10:16 am EST
Eric, this stuff is gettin good
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
LowBudget
Afton, NY

LowBudget on Nov 26, 2013November 26th, 2013, 5:49 pm EST
I have to ask.

Would you be willing to share how you took and what equipment you used to get these stunning images?

BTW I am currently writing a grant for my Career and Technical high school for photographic equipment for macroinvertebrate pictures and study.

Ed
Ed
Low Budget Fly Tying and Fishing author of "Behind the Fly"
http://edengelman.com/BTF.html
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 27, 2013November 27th, 2013, 7:27 am EST
Nice shots Eric!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 27, 2013November 27th, 2013, 2:01 pm EST
Great photos, as always, Eric.

Does anyone tie and fish imitations of this bug? I used this Vimeo video to tie some, but have yet to fish them. When and where have folks had luck with this fly, if any?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Nov 27, 2013November 27th, 2013, 3:04 pm EST
Jeez, I posted those photos last March. Thanks Gentlemen!

I have to ask.

Would you be willing to share how you took and what equipment you used to get these stunning images?

BTW I am currently writing a grant for my Career and Technical high school for photographic equipment for macroinvertebrate pictures and study.

Ed

Ed, my setup is pretty basic. I use a small aquarium (1"x 2") that I made from acrylic sheet that I cut to size and glued together. Lighting is a fiber optic microscope light. Camera is a Nikon DSLR with a 105mm f2.8 lens. And a tripod.
LowBudget
Afton, NY

LowBudget on Nov 30, 2013November 30th, 2013, 1:54 pm EST
Crepuscular

Thank you for the information.

It looks like you painted the back of the aquarium with black paint. Am I correct? Did you paint it on the inside of the tank?

What kind of glue did you use? Silicone or ???

Thank you again.

Are there any worthwhile tutorials on the web? I have not found one yet.

Ed
Ed
Low Budget Fly Tying and Fishing author of "Behind the Fly"
http://edengelman.com/BTF.html

Quick Reply