Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Male Psychoglypha (Limnephilidae) (Snow Sedge) Caddisfly Adult from Spring Brook in Washington
This Psychoglypha adult was found clinging to my garage door in the evening on April 9, 2013. It measures 21 mm in length, from the front of head to the end of wings. It is my hope that Creno will be able to identify it to species based on the image of its genitalia. However, if other images are required for a species ID, the specimen is available, so they can be easily taken. Thanks, Roger Rohrbeck, Mercer Island, WA.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Apr 13, 2013April 13th, 2013, 6:56 pm EDT
I cannot determine most species in this genus without clearing the parts and looking closely. Sorry.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 13, 2013April 13th, 2013, 9:39 pm EDT
Thanks Dave, I understand.

However, if you don't mind I'd like to ask another question. The four caddisflies, whose wings are lined up for purpose of comparison in the below photos visited my garage door on the indicated dates. I believe them to be of genus Psychoglypha. Do you agree?

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Apr 14, 2013April 14th, 2013, 10:14 am EDT
yup - they all appear to be Psychoglypha - it is a little hard to see the venation for a couple of them.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 14, 2013April 14th, 2013, 12:51 pm EDT
Thanks, Dave. The first two images were taken with my old Nikon Coolpix 5400 camera on macro setting. And, the last two images were taken with a USB digital camera through the trinocular port of my new stereo zoom microscope.

Would you suspect the 1st two images may be of a different Psychoglypha species than the last two images, or would it common to see that degree of difference between the wing markings of a single species?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Apr 14, 2013April 14th, 2013, 2:51 pm EDT
interesting time on your post. 4:51 already? I thought we were in the same time zone now.

Anyway - I cannot say if they are the same species without having them in hand. I suspect the differences are more likely due to a combination of camera and light variability along with specimen variability. How old the adult is is always a factor, as well as how long it was preserved/dead and where it was stored (temp/light/etc).

As I have often indicated, caddis species (and usually genus)cannot be reliably determined by color. I am sorry but habitus pics/views of caddis do not provide enough information to make species determinations. If it could be done systematists would have done it years ago. Even taxonomists take the easy way when it is available :-)

What scope/camera did ya get? I like the wide FOV and always looking for improvements. PM if ya want.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 14, 2013April 14th, 2013, 4:48 pm EDT
Hi Dave-

We are in the same time zone. However, Jason's server is probably set to EDT, as the time stamp shown on your reply was 6:51 PM, and was first noticed at 4:40 PM PDT.

Would like to send you the two most recently collected specimens to examine in the interest of your being able to determine their species. If you are willing to do that, please PM me with your mailing address, and you preference regarding shipping (dry or ethanol-preserved specimens).

With regard to my new microscope, it's an AmScope Model SM-1T with optional accessories of an MU300 Digital Camera, and an 80 LED Light Ring. Certainly not a high end instrument, but it was affordable, and seems to work well for my purposes.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 14, 2013April 14th, 2013, 11:29 pm EDT
Nice photos, Roger!

You're right that the site's server is set to EDT.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply