Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Isidro
Isidro on Mar 3, 2008March 3rd, 2008, 6:57 pm EST
I don't know how in Earth I gave this identification, years ago, to this very common mayfly in my zone. Maybe looking a book I've found one similar with this name. But unfortunately, there are any adult picture of Choroterpes in the web. Leptophlebiidae is sure, and females are very difficut to see, while the males (turbinate eyes) are very common into my city (Zaragoza, NE Spain). Posterior wings are very small, and costal zone very dark. Wingspan is about 15 mm. Two cerci.
The rivers of the zone are big, deep, contaminated and slow.

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Isidro
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 4, 2008March 4th, 2008, 2:59 pm EST
The eyes are hard to see from my machine, but could this be a baetid? Why do you assume Leptophlebiidae?
Isidro
Isidro on Mar 4, 2008March 4th, 2008, 7:15 pm EST
Thanks Konchu. Maybe it's a baetid, but due to elongate wings, turbinate eyes, posterior wings present... I thinked that was identical to Leptophlebiidae. Now I need a genus -and, if it's possible, species- level identification ;-)
Isidro
Isidro on Mar 10, 2008March 10th, 2008, 3:53 am EDT
Anybody.... ? :-(
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 11, 2008March 11th, 2008, 4:41 pm EDT
It looks like a Baetid to me, too. The features you listed aren't incompatible with that ID. As for species and genus, I doubt we can be of much help. Even a series of high-quality closeups like I've got on this site often isn't sufficient to figure out genus and species for Baetid mayflies, even well-known American species.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Isidro
Isidro on Mar 11, 2008March 11th, 2008, 10:43 pm EDT
Many thanks Jason. Then, is not a Choroterpes but a Baetid... It's a pity that the ID was impossible...
Isidro
Isidro on May 18, 2008May 18th, 2008, 12:57 am EDT
There is a lost answer??? taxon answered the last, in the forum says "6 answers", but I entrer and see my answer the last and only 5 answers...
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 18, 2008May 18th, 2008, 2:23 pm EDT
Isidro-

Not a lost answer, just a deleted answer. Taxon had just run across a photo of dun with a fore wing which was similar to the one in your photo, and impulsively posted a comment, but promptly changed his mind and deleted it. Incidentally, the photo was in the book Trout Fly Recognition by John Goddard, and the photo was labeled Leptophlebia vespertina female dun.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
And
Europe

And on Jun 4, 2008June 4th, 2008, 10:40 am EDT
Hello Isidro,

Choroterpes (like all Leptophlebiidae) has always 3 cerci

Greetings
Andrea

Quick Reply