Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 21, 2008March 21st, 2008, 10:54 pm EDT
I've been told the Little J has a very good Grannom hatch. When I look at pictures on this site I see photos of what I call the "Apple Caddis" which are very common on the West Bracnh and main stem Delaware. The Grannon I remember emerges on the Beaverkiill in huge waves about every half hour and has a mottled, or variegated, wing and a brownish body with a green egg sack. I've been told there is a description of this fly in LaFontaine's book "Cadisflies". Below is a picture of what I would call a Grannom. My question is if I'm going to tie pupa and adults for the Little J which of these two bugs is the predominant caddis there?

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 12:50 am EDT
Matt-

Although I've never seen a caddisfly exactly like the 1st photo, the wing patterning resembles that of Hydropsyche (Spotted Sedge).

To me at least, the 2nd photo looks more like Brachycentrus (American Grannom or Mother's Day Caddis).

Of course I realize this doesn't answer your question, but perhaps it will be of some use to you anyway.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 1:29 am EDT
The Androscoggin River in NH has a huge emergence of the upper fly The locals call it a Grannom but it is most likely the Spotted Sedge you refer too. I'm sure you can understand why I need clarity of the Littte Juniata Caddis since there is such a sinificant difference between the Apple Caddis and this fly. Thanks for your reply.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 3:36 am EDT
Gonzo helped straighten out the Grannom issue in a really good discussion we had last year that should clarify some of this.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 4:35 am EDT
I thought you were calling me out...
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 11:34 am EDT
I thought you were calling me out...

That's hilarious, Grannom.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 12:24 pm EDT
Yes.. I do have 17 alternate TroutNut accounts, is that a problem?
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 12:56 pm EDT
Mike-

Well, as long as you asked, I guess it could be indicative of some form or paranoia. Is that the information you sought?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 22, 2008March 22nd, 2008, 1:23 pm EDT
Thanks to everyone who tried to steer me in the right direction to the prior extensive discussion on these bugs.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 23, 2008March 23rd, 2008, 2:54 am EDT
Matt, I'm glad Taxon has such a long memory. I'd almost forgotten the thread he linked to. It should give you most of the information you need. A dark charcoal, black, or dark brown body works for the adult. I've seen patterns by local fishermen who do very well and they all seem to use a slightly different color. Everyone I know of uses a dark wing, some deer hair, some dun CDC, some a combination. Every possible style of caddis adult gets pitched at the fish, and all seem productive. As it is some places the first hatch of the season, the fish are a bit less picky, than they are for something like sulphurs. One thing people do for any difficult fish they run into is tie a bright green egg sack, which I believe also serves as a "hot spot" attractor.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 23, 2008March 23rd, 2008, 7:42 am EDT
Louis-

I suspect it's Jason's long memory to which you are referring, as he is the contributor to this thread who posted a link to another thread.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 24, 2008March 24th, 2008, 7:15 am EDT
Yes, I see. Posting too quickly and because I had just read several posts by Roger, I mixed the two bug experts up. Sorry Jason, credit to you for this one.

Now a question to all the bug experts. Reading Caddis Superhatches by Richards, I believe, I came across the observation that in the afternoon Grannoms swim underwater to lay their eggs. If this is so, I may have been missing some great wet fly action. Does anyone know about this, particularly in reference to the Grannoms we'll see hatching in the Little J, Fishing Creek, Penns Creek and other PA streams in about a month?

--Fred Chappell
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Mar 25, 2008March 25th, 2008, 4:29 pm EDT
louis, I'm not a bug expert but the females are divers (at least on the streams i frequent..."J", spruce, etc.) and that is the reason that the grannom dries in my box, serve mainly as a strike indicator for my pupa. Try a peacock body wet with a flo. green tag.
jeff
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 27, 2008March 27th, 2008, 12:30 am EDT
Aha!

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply