Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 3, 2008December 3rd, 2008, 3:49 am EST
I figured it's about that time of year again, time to hold the second annual troutnut fy swap. I realize we are in the middle of the holliday season and every one is busy, so we won't have a due date until well after the first of the year. I just wanted to post this early enough that we can have some discussion towards a possible theme, while giving plenty of time for people to see the post and sign up. Personally it doesn't matter to me what we tie I've tried a handful of cool patterns this year that I could contribute. I think we should limit the number to 12ish, but i'm open for whatever.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 3, 2008December 3rd, 2008, 4:56 am EST
a theme idea: since this is an entomologically themed site, perhaps we could tie representations of insects, as opposed to minnows, sculpins, leeches, and baitfish. just an idea...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 4, 2008December 4th, 2008, 12:32 am EST
That sounds fine to me, however i want to be careful not to suggest realistic style tying because I don't want to turn anyone away (myself included). We'll see what everyone else has to say.
Jeff
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 4, 2008December 4th, 2008, 5:11 am EST
I'm in. I have a fly in mind that I think you folks will find useful.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Dec 4, 2008December 4th, 2008, 7:04 am EST
I don't know how y'all do this but I can tie some up.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Dec 4, 2008December 4th, 2008, 1:51 pm EST
i want to be careful not to suggest realistic style tying

oh dear no! sorry, sir! sketchy representation was what i meant. "realistic" is not in my fly tying vocabulary.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 5, 2008December 5th, 2008, 8:25 am EST
Scott,
Here is how it works.
1.everyone ties one fly for each person in the swap.
2.Send the flies to me by the due date(T.B.A.). I will p.m. everyone my address.
3. I will return your box filled w/ one fly from everyone who participated.
4. be sure to include a name and recipe for your fly.

It's a good way to learn some new patterns. I have caught fish on every pattern tied from last years swap.

Here is who we got so far
1-jeff
2-Casey
3-Louis
4-Scott
5-?
6-?
7-?
8-?
9-?
10-?
11-?
12-?
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Dec 5, 2008December 5th, 2008, 10:36 am EST
I'd love to contribute something of my own and also get some flies from others (last year's were great), but I just don't know if I'll have the time with everything else I've got on my plate. I may have to pass on this one. When you have a due date, Jeff, please post it and I'll see if I can make it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 8, 2008December 8th, 2008, 3:16 pm EST
I just want to bump this back up.....
As soon as we gather a few more tiers we'll get a date set. If you have never done a fly swap give it a try. Most of us are spending more time at the vise this time of year than on the water, so give it a shot. The more variety the better the swap.
jeff
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 9, 2008December 9th, 2008, 11:38 pm EST
Hey Shawn, jump on board. I don't think Jeff will stop the train before you're able to get off.

--Fred Chappell
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Dec 10, 2008December 10th, 2008, 6:10 am EST
I have a nymph that is my own creation that I am going to send in. It works well, I think you all will find it worthy.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Dec 10, 2008December 10th, 2008, 2:09 pm EST
Sounds good scott.
Shawn, def. climb aboard, part of why I posted this up so early was to get a feel for when everyone thought they could have them done by. The last thing I want to do is have people tie against a deadline, kind of takes the fun out of it.
jeff
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Dec 10, 2008December 10th, 2008, 4:07 pm EST
I'll join in. I know exactly what I'll tie up. I'll be checking back for a date!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Dec 10, 2008December 10th, 2008, 11:10 pm EST
OK, I'll do it. The pattern I want to tie is a little time-consuming. Maybe I'll do something simpler if I don't have the time.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Dec 11, 2008December 11th, 2008, 2:23 am EST
maybe somebody could tie up the infamous "cockabundy":). I searched a few ireland websites on trout and even e-mailed someone about it. could not find it anywhere. maybe its best we don't know what it is, could be too good ;).
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture

CaseyP on Dec 11, 2008December 11th, 2008, 3:52 am EST
i'll do some Bloody Butchers, which are exotic only because it's so hard to get the blue Mallard quills without the rest of the wing or bird. a hunter cousin of a fellow tier on another board sent some, so as long as there aren't more than a dozen of us, it will be good. they are a handsome and simple tie.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Dec 11, 2008December 11th, 2008, 11:35 am EST
I'll be tying up some "Curly's". Its an emerger pattern that is extremely simple, but I don't see very many patterns that look like it around my area. It works awesome when Hendricksons, March Browns, and even Iso's are coming off the water, though I have taken fish on it throughout the summer.

I hope I don't replicate any patterns that were tied up in last years swap!
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 12, 2008December 12th, 2008, 3:17 am EST
Hi Artie,

You won't be replicating anything from last year, and since I love emerger patterns, at least one of us (and I'm sure more) will be delighted to see what curlys look like. I'll be tying a small emerger that works well for olives myself.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Dec 12, 2008December 12th, 2008, 10:11 am EST
I contributed what I call a curly worm last year, but I doubt yours is too similar, Al514. I'll include one of my own in the swap just for you, if you'd like.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 12, 2008December 12th, 2008, 3:50 pm EST
Shawn, Artie's curlys are emergers, no worm to them, I believe.

--Oh, you're just being cute. I shoulda known.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply