Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Mar 8, 2009March 8th, 2009, 8:46 am EDT
I've been tying hot orange parachutes on my small flies since last season. This year however I've decided to use it on most all of them. I stopped and thought about it now that i've got a couple dozen tied up and I wondered if i should tie some with a matching post as well. Reason being, that the orange post may be to bold for picky fish. What are your thoughts?
jeff
CharlieSawd
St. Michael, Minnesota

CharlieSawd on Mar 8, 2009March 8th, 2009, 1:04 pm EDT
White antron work well for me, especially with my BWO patterns.

-Charlie
Charlie Sawdey
www.driftlessflybox.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 8, 2009March 8th, 2009, 3:27 pm EDT
Jeff, I've been using white poly yarn for my posts on my olives and some very picky fish have not had a problem with them. The poly yarn is very visible and it floats like a cork. I also tie some in hot orange for conditions where I need more visibility. I haven't noticed a problem with them, but haven't used them that much. I also hear black is very good in some glare conditions.

Have you had a chance to try out the olive emerger? John W caught a fish on one last Wednesday, and I've been having a lot of luck lately. The parachutes have been all I needed most days.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Mar 9, 2009March 9th, 2009, 1:27 am EDT
I have used fluorescent yellow calf tail and poly yarn for parachute posts on Adams and Olive dries. The bright color of the post is easier for my aging eyes to see and does not seem to affect takes by fish.
Pat Crisci
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Mar 9, 2009March 9th, 2009, 3:45 am EDT
my most successful sulphur parachute had a florescent pink post. my dubbing skills were'nt very good, so a tiny bit of the pink showed at the thorax. when I managed to completely cover the bottom of the post, they didn't work as well. serendipity is the name of this game.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Mar 9, 2009March 9th, 2009, 11:43 am EDT
thanks guys, I just needed some re-assurance. I think the orange will stay. the reason I'm using the orange is because i've always used orange as an indicator color, and for whatever reason my eyes are keyed on that color better than anything else I try.

Louis,
Thurs. and fri I made it out for some olive action. I had to leave both days earlier than I would have liked, but thus far it is picking up fish. In fact I've tied up about a dozen more. The para. and a sz 18 beadhead skip nymph have worked well for me.( I believe you introduced me to the nymph last year.)
jeff
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 10, 2009March 10th, 2009, 1:45 am EDT
Glad to hear it's working for you too. I believe the orange will work on most if not all fish. --keep us posted.

Hey, there's no rule about bad puns--just haiku
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply