Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bowmandjk
erie,penna

Bowmandjk on Nov 5, 2007November 5th, 2007, 12:37 pm EST
can anyone tell me how to tie a maggot ball and what material to use
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Nov 5, 2007November 5th, 2007, 2:46 pm EST
eewww whats a maggot ball?
Flybinder
Oregon Coast

Flybinder on Nov 5, 2007November 5th, 2007, 6:56 pm EST
Unable to post a picture here, I can "try" and tell you what the Maggot Ball fly is like!?!
Tied on a #14 scud hook.
Take 3 to 4 strands of antron white yarn,or, equivalent.1" long
Using 6/0 or 8/0 black thread, tie one end of yarn to hook.Mid shank.
On loose end, QUICKLY singe end with a lighter or match, until end melts and turns dark. (either dark brown or black, depending on type of yarn used).
That's about it,for a "Maggot Ball" fly!
Hope this helps and hope you catch fish on it! In larger sizes, this fly's been used for steelhead quite often!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Nov 5, 2007November 5th, 2007, 11:48 pm EST
http://www.steelheadquarters.com/top_5_flies.htm

A picture can be found at the above site.
Bowmandjk
erie,penna

Bowmandjk on Nov 6, 2007November 6th, 2007, 7:01 am EST
lam and flybinder thanks for the info i heard they where great for steelhead and early trout ill give them a try thanks again

Quick Reply