This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
1. Each flytier is allowed to compete in each of the categories with one fly only, which must be sent in 2 samples. The chosen fly should not be a part of the tiers participation in any of his/her previous tying competitions.
2. Package with each sample should contain:
- Name of the fly (Known or new);
- Password to prove the fly's origin (it can be anything, formed with letters and/or numbers);
- Description of used materials (Recipe);
- Size and type of the hook used;
- Name of the animal/fly that is being imitated (if possible a photography as well! *This only considers category - Realistic Flies)
Jury will automatically reject all samples that will contain natural insect parts (such as wings, legs, etc) as a part of the fly!
3. In the accompanying letter tyers must write their names, addresses, e-mails, telephone numbers, country for which they compete, names of the flies and passwords. Letter should be in the enclosed envelope together with the fly. Copies of those letters must be kept by the authors until the end of the competition.
4. For the judging of flies jury will consider the following criteria:
- Proportions of the fly,
- firmness and technical aspect of the tying,
- suitability of the chosen materials,
- general impression and
- in the 4th category the â€œlevel of imitationâ€ will be the most important criterion!
5. Jury holds the right to classify samples in different categories if necessary!
6. Decision of the jury is final!
7. Please send flies in a package that prevents them to be destroyed during shipping!
8. Deadline for sending your patterns to us (date on the post stamp should not be later than): 31st January 2019
9. Flies should be sent to the following address:
Ribiska Zveza Slovenije (for competition 2020)
Considering previous criteria jury will reward the best 3 flies in each category with practical prizes, licences for the best Slovenian fly fishing districts and diplomas. All participants will be previously informed about their achievements.
FAS-Flytying Section President: Luka Hojnik
President FAS: dr. Miroslav Zaberl
You are all kindly invited to participate in Europe's oldest fly tying contest!