Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 9, 2017June 9th, 2017, 3:52 pm EDT
Anybody use the Orvis Hydros strap vest. I'm done with chest packs, and I really don't like slings that much anymore. Geez I'm going full circle here after 60 years!
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Jun 9, 2017June 9th, 2017, 4:51 pm EDT
I was gifted a Umpqua swiftwater tech vest from 3 years ago that I use all the time. I used to have a cheaper one, but it was not nearly as nice. It's smaller than most vests. It has straps similar to a backpack (actually there is a backpack attachment that I never felt the need to get) so it doesn't trap in body heat like the vests with wider shoulders, fronts and backs. It fits everything I need and also has all sorts of spots to attach carbiners, rings, etc. to have external gear handy. It's also pretty tough. I've walked through some thick brush with it and there has been no damage despite all of the snags I've got bushwhacking. I also like that because it's small and adjustable, putting it on over a coat in early spring, and fall is not a issue at all. It's kinda like having two small sling packs over both shoulders. Best of both worlds IMO. Highly recommended.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 10, 2017June 10th, 2017, 12:27 am EDT
Thanks Tim, I take a look at it.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 11, 2017June 11th, 2017, 12:35 am EDT
Having fly fished for over fifty four years I still prefer a conventional vest for 90% of my fly fishing. I like the Simms short vest. It has enough inner and outer pockets to satisfy all but the most anal of fly fishers.

I will admit to using a smaller chest pack for my Missouri River angling as I only need one swing leaf C&F fly box, tippet spools in 5X & 6X, a nipper, forceps, and my Frog's Fanny. BTW I located an online vendor, not associated with fly fishing, who sells powdered dessicant in quart bottles for very little expense. Four of us pay $12 each and we have enough material to last at least five years.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 11, 2017June 11th, 2017, 1:00 am EDT
Matt I'm in on the buy , that's a nice price ,
I have used vests myself , but recent shoulder reconstruction kind of made me change my gear up , I found a sling bag to work good for me , , but I do love the organization of the vest , pockets have purpose, lol
Matt keep me posted on the buy
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 11, 2017June 11th, 2017, 8:19 am EDT
David,

You misunderstood me - I have enough for the next 5-6 years. I will find the link and post it up.

Here is the link. Two quarts cost only $17.00. For only $17 it might be worth buying a 100 little plastic pill bottles and filling each bottle with the desiccant and selling them for $5.00 per bottle. Still $2.50 less than those pathetically small Frog's Fanny bottles.

Be careful working with this powder. I use a very small kitchen funnel to fill my bottles. I also wear a pair of those 2 mil blue throw away gloves so my hands don't get dried out. Don't sneeze either or you could blow a pint of the stuff all over the house!

http://www.epoxyusa.com/fumed_silica_p/ft02.htm
David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 11, 2017June 11th, 2017, 8:22 am EDT
Lol. Oh oh , lol. My bad I did mis-read , I'm sorry lol
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 11, 2017June 11th, 2017, 4:23 pm EDT
Yes, you don't want to breathe the stuff either. I keep my fumed silica in a plastic water bottle that has a drinking "straw" built into the top. I insert the straw into the empty Frog's Fanny bottle and squeeze the bottle to transfer it that way. Quick and no mess.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Jun 12, 2017June 12th, 2017, 1:57 am EDT
I love strap vests, I just got this fishpond mesh vest this year and absolutely love it.. Plenty of storage and loops/clips for hanging things off it. I recomend it highly, its light and cool in the summer so far as well.

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/sagebrush-mesh-vest/2462

The "zip down fly bench" is suprisingly handy as well, I use it much more than anticipated. All the flies I use during the day and take off I stick in there quickly, that way I can zip that thing down and see quickly what I've used so far. I also keep hot patterns in there for quick access instead of having to unzip a pocket and then take out fly box and open etc. You can also leave it open to dry off dry flies.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 12, 2017June 12th, 2017, 4:11 am EDT
Here is PABrownie's link live;

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/sagebrush-mesh-vest/2462

Very nice, a little pricey for my pocket, but I like it. Where do you stow the breathable rain jacket?
PABrownie
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Jun 14, 2017June 14th, 2017, 8:07 am EDT
WBranch, It has a large back pocket like your typical vest has, just this one is mesh, I keep my water/rainjacket/small aquarium net for capturing floating bugs in the back, everything fits comfortably.
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 15, 2017June 15th, 2017, 9:38 am EDT
PABrownie you convinced me, thanks for the input.

Mike.
PABrownie
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Jun 16, 2017June 16th, 2017, 1:28 am EDT
Hope you like it Partsman!

Quick Reply