Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on Feb 20, 2009February 20th, 2009, 4:51 pm EST
I'm hoping somebody can tell me what I'm dealing with here and possibly a proven imitation?Sorry,no pics,but I'll it describe best I can.

I beleive this caddis is some type of green sedge,but I can't find a pic of an adult to verify this,nor have I found a pattern that IMHO represents it very accurately?The entire bug is a beautiful bright,light green..more like lime or chartreuse,including the wings.Early June,midday,Southwestern New Brunswick,Canada.I've searched through hundreds of green caddis patterns on every flytying forum I can think of,and not a single green caddis imitation I've found has matching green wings like these naturals?Is this a standard practice to ignore the wing color?I'm sure natural colored elk/deer hair works as well,but it seems to me "matching the hatch" more accurately would only make sense?I'm not too bad at tying trout streamers and salmon flies sz 10 and larger,but I'm still a very amateur tier,esp. when it comes to sz 14 and smaller.I did manage to tie a reasonable imitation(basic elkhair caddis) with green dyed deer hair,and even lifted a few nice brookies with them.(patting self on back,LOL)

My questions are:
1)Is this a caddis unique to my area which might explain why I can't find any published imitation or do all/most green sedges also have green wings?
2)Or...is it common to ignore the wing color and tie it with natural colored elk?
3)Should I simply order a bunch of green elkhair caddis flies from a reputable tier or spend the rest of winter practicing tying the small stuff?

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 21, 2009February 21st, 2009, 4:38 am EST
Greenghost-

You don't actually say what size it it, but if it's #16-#18, my guess would be Brachycentrus appalachia.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on Feb 21, 2009February 21st, 2009, 5:02 pm EST
I'd call it sz 14-16?Maybe 18?
Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on Feb 22, 2009February 22nd, 2009, 6:28 am EST
Thanks Taxon,looked up Brachycentrus appalachia pics,sorry no,that's not it at all.The bug I'm describing is totally green,abdomen,wings,thorax,head....all of it.Legs too iirc?Kawasaki/Arctic Cat lime green.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 22, 2009February 22nd, 2009, 11:05 am EST
Greenghost-

Sorry, but that was my best guess.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 18, 2009April 18th, 2009, 7:17 am EDT
Greenghost,

Your description doesn't seem to match any caddisfly that I know (especially the green wing part), but it does sound exactly like the little chloroperlid stoneflies of Alloperla. These are commonly called Little Green Stoneflies or Lime Sallies and are often seen fluttering around riffled areas at midday in June. Compare to these images:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/117264/bgimage
http://bugguide.net/node/view/193103/bgimage

Quick Reply