Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Sep 30, 2010September 30th, 2010, 10:33 am EDT

And here is a link to a step by step to tie it.
http://www.realisticflytying.net/id26.html
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 30, 2010September 30th, 2010, 1:39 pm EDT
Neat Fly. I'll bet the wing looks very realistic from below. Will it withstand a few fish? I very much like the body concept and your use of markers and flexament to finish it. Gonzo's book led me to try flexament, and it's become a necessity on my table.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Oct 1, 2010October 1st, 2010, 2:55 am EDT
Thanks Martin. This fly is very durable . I first tied it for rainbows and caught just as many warmwater fish as trout . Yes flexament makes the wing material tuff and also bouyant.
Fred
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Oct 4, 2010October 4th, 2010, 9:10 am EDT

I like that! I like the balled up hair body, and the homemade wing material. Very cool. LOVE that kind of creativity.
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Oct 4, 2010October 4th, 2010, 1:13 pm EDT
Great looking fly. Very good picture. Keep up the good work.
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Oct 5, 2010October 5th, 2010, 12:55 am EDT
Thanks Paul and Aaron. I got a couple hundred trout last winter in my bass pond and found I had a caddis hatch going on and these farm raised fish knew what to do with them . They would hardly take any other offering with so much natural food so I came up with this pattern.

Quick Reply