Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Powderfinge
Powderfinge's profile picture
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 8, 2017January 8th, 2017, 11:22 pm EST
hello, new here. what are your most realistic and effective patterns?
thanks to all!!!
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 12:55 am EST
Grannom soft hackle!
I don't even use adult patterns anymore, I cant keep fish off of the soft hackle when grannoms are hatching, seriously!
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 2:58 am EST
Here's a dry I've done well with during Grannom activity:
http://www.troutnut.com/topic/7985/Caddis-Wing
Powderfinge
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 9:05 pm EST
great paul. being that pic have various hues, what color goose do you use?
same for the body dub. looks yellow/green in one shot, very brown in another,,,thanks
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 10:56 pm EST
Oh no, not the deadly Grannom thread for the umpteenth time!!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 10, 2017January 10th, 2017, 12:56 am EST
It's wild Canada goose. It's all shades of tan-gray. I've tinted some with Pantone pens, but I'm not sure it's necessary, esp for Grannom adults. They can be very active on the water and the buoyancy of the fly mimics them pretty well. I've done well with this pattern as far apart as the Beaverkill and Gunnison.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 10, 2017January 10th, 2017, 12:58 am EST
Oh no, not the deadly Grannom thread for the umpteenth time!!

Matt, you've been here a long time and can probably remember most good threads on here -maybe even recite them verbatim! :) Let the new guy ask his question. :) And yes, he should know there is a LOT archived here in past threads. Powderfinge, do search back, there's a treasure trove of discussion here.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 10, 2017January 10th, 2017, 11:45 am EST
Sorry for my abruptness! Diplomacy is not one of my stronger suits since becoming a septuagenarian.

Of which Grannom do thou speaketh? The one with the blackish body and mottled dark wings or the Apple caddis with the apple green body and light colored wings. Both are found in many Catskill waters but I'm not sure the Apple caddis is indigenous to the LJ.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 10, 2017January 10th, 2017, 1:23 pm EST
No apple caddis on the LJ. Paul, thanks for bumping up that thread. I'd forgotten some of the ideas there that I'd planned to try out. So much to tie, such little time.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Jan 10, 2017January 10th, 2017, 10:35 pm EST
Powderfinge
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 16, 2017January 16th, 2017, 10:56 am EST
no offense taken. my friends never ask what i'm thinking, I just said it. appreciate all the help/tips dudes.....

Quick Reply