Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dorsal view of a Brachycentrus (Brachycentridae) (Grannom) Caddisfly Pupa from Cayuta Creek in New York
The green blob contained in this case is a pupa in the early stages of transformation from larva to the final stage we generally picture and imitate. This specimen and several like it were fixed to a rock I picked up, and each one had the front of its case sealed off, protecting the helpless pupa from predation. It's neat to see the insect part-way through such a radical transformation.

It was very hard to extract this thing from its case, so there's a bit of extra goo near the head from where I accidentally punctured it.
Powderfinge
Powderfinge's profile picture
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 8, 2017January 8th, 2017, 10:52 pm EST
what pattern/colors do u find effective? thanks
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 12:57 am EST
Jeez man, I already responded to your other grannom post, but I didn't realize you were talking about the j! Seriously, grannom soft hackles are freakin killers !
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 2:35 am EST
I use a size 16 gray hackle peacock. You may be able to use a size 14 early in the hatch. Just like PABrownie says, "they're freakin' killers.
Powderfinge
Powderfinge's profile picture
3 corners

Powderfinge on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 3:03 pm EST
thanks
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 9, 2017January 9th, 2017, 10:57 pm EST
Please do a Forum search for prior Grannom threads there are likely pages of posts.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 10, 2017January 10th, 2017, 1:26 pm EST
Or just look below at "Related Discussions."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply