Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bcvizina has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Bcvizina
Northern Michigan

Bcvizina on Mar 15, 2010March 15th, 2010, 4:15 pm EDT
I took a couple pictures with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel because it's the only camera I could get with a semi-macro lens. I can also get my hands on a Canon EOS 7D, but I don't have any kind of macro lens for that camera. What would be a good cheap lens for taking pictures of aquatic insects?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 15, 2010March 15th, 2010, 5:34 pm EDT
Very nice, Brent.

The 1st four photos appear to be of Boreal Stones (Acroneuria lycorias), which are of family Perlidae (Common Stones).

As to a "good cheap" macro lens for your EOS 7D, apart from the fact that "good" and "cheap" are probably mutually exclusive attributes, unless you venture into the used macro lens marketplace, I suspect somewhere around $350 dollars is probably pretty much entry level. However, others may be able to give you specific recommendations.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 15, 2010March 15th, 2010, 5:45 pm EDT
The bottom bug is a Taeniopterygid stonefly, I'm guessing Taeniopteryx but Strophopteryx would also be possible... I don't know a way to tell from these photos.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 15, 2010March 15th, 2010, 6:15 pm EDT

Hi Jason,

Wow, my reputation for being the "fastest gun in the West" is in serious jeopardy if I slow down even a smidgen. Ready, fire, aim, as they say. However, I may be okay for a while, as the demands of matrimony are sure to take their toll. Just kidding, sort of.

Anyway, I suspect Brent's last photo to be of an Eastern Willowfly (Taeniopteryx burksi). Please see this one identified by Dr. Donald S. Chandler for comparison purposes.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Mar 16, 2010March 16th, 2010, 9:28 am EDT
I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi and I love the camera. For macro work I am thinking of buying this macro lens this year...

http://www.buy.com/prod/canon-ef-50mm-f-2-5-compact-macro-lens-1x-50mm-f-2-5/q/listingid/67296338/loc/111/204049851.html

Canon has a better one in a 60 mm but it is almost 200 bucks more, which is more than I want to spend. Especially since I mainly use my macro photos for the web and I don't need 300 dpi print type photos.

However, I may be okay for a while, as the demands of matrimony are sure to take their toll. Just kidding, sort of.

Roger, I found if you let your better-half have her own passionate past-time hobbies, it helps eliminate cramping your style. Although, kids, wife, pets, college tuition, taxes, honey-do projects, etc... do take their toll. :)

Quick Reply