Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf has attached these 8 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Floating for smallies
Nymphing a riffle
Pretty brown Marv caught nymphing
One of my browns
Another brown on a nymph
A pretty smallie
Smallmouth on a fluke.
Another smallie

Report at a Glance

General RegionCentral Pennsylvania
Dates FishedJuly 12-July 15
Time of DayMorning to Night, with breaks
Fish CaughtBrowns, Bows, and Smallmouth
Conditions & HatchesMostly sunny. No significant hatches

Details and Discussion

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 20, 2019July 20th, 2019, 1:11 am EDT
My nephew Marvin came to Pennsylvania this year, mainly to fish for smallmouth. But high water kept trout streams viable, so we fished a couple of them. We used both fly rods and conventional gear, catching fish on streamers, poppers, nymphs, flukes, and swimbaits. It's always good fishing with Marvin, and he carries a camera, so we get a few photos.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 20, 2019July 20th, 2019, 2:51 am EDT
Louis. That last one looks full of crayfish!

Nice tradition you two have going on. It’s been fun sharing it with you two over the years.

Good stuff! 👍

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 21, 2019July 21st, 2019, 11:57 am EDT
Great pictures, you guys now how to do it right!
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 30, 2019July 30th, 2019, 10:00 am EDT
Thanks, guys. We had a great time. I'm probably off to Oregon again next year.

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 31, 2019July 31st, 2019, 6:37 am EDT
FAT BOYS!!! Well done, Louis! Yep, as in my latest post, these trips with family and/or friends are always special. Especially when nice fish are caught! We didn't score big on my latest visit with the boys but we sure did see some pretty territory, which needs further exploration on my part...but you guys did great, some hard-bent rods there!

Thanks for sharing your latest adventure and of course tight lines and dancing flies on your next outing!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 22, 2021February 22nd, 2021, 5:54 am EST
Trout and bass for Grayson.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply