Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Dec 2, 2010December 2nd, 2010, 11:48 am EST
Time to get everyone into the tying mood. Here one of my new ones to get everyone started.

Cinabar Flymph

Hook: Daiichi #1550 #12
Thread: Orange Uni-thread
Hackle: Golden Speckled Hen Back-one side stripped off of fibers.
First Ribbing:One strand of Peacock herl
Second Ribbing: Fine copper wire counter-wrapped.
Body:Cinnamon colored bear underfur mixed with a little Hare's Mask of the same color. The body was dubbed on 6/0 Danville Tying thread of Pale orange color Leisenring fashion. When dubbing, the fibers of fur were laid perpendicular to the tying thread.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 2, 2010December 2nd, 2010, 3:52 pm EST
Nice! Very pretty fly.

I'm about to get tying here soon. What psyches me up is bug sampling on my home streams, (breaking some ice to do it), which has me thinking about designs to add to the list. First, I have a new fly rod to finish though.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 3, 2010December 3rd, 2010, 1:48 am EST
Mark,

I'm heading up tomorrow towards Lansing for a FFF Fly Tying Expo to try and kick start my winter tying...I have been really dragging it. Taking my 12 year old nephew Jacob with me to see what he thinks...We are going to walk some trails after to see if we can spot any winter birds of interest.

Also, re-signed up today for a tying group I belong to that ties through the winter months from Jan-Mar...It's run at a middle school by the Challenge Chapt of TU.

I guess you are our cheer leader Mark, now lets get tying boys! It will be Opening Day in a blink.

Nice fly as usual Obi Wan of the Softhackle...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Dec 3, 2010December 3rd, 2010, 2:43 am EST
Very nice. Thanks for the recipe.
Fred

Quick Reply