Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Vprinceii
Vprinceii's profile picture
Providence, RI.

Vprinceii on Feb 13, 2016February 13th, 2016, 11:20 am EST
I recently found a river in western Massachusetts. I am eager to try fishing net location. I took pictures, but the pictures I have don't show the fish I saw there. My question is. Is it normal for fish to swim close to the bank in cold weather?
VJPrincipe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 13, 2016February 13th, 2016, 3:18 pm EST
That is an interesting question. There might be a seep coming into the river there that is actually warmer than the water in the river. Just as trout seek out cooler water in the summer if the water in the river gets too warm I think they might seek out warmer water in the winter time. Just a guess on my part though. There are some really knowledgeable fly fishers on this forum that may shed more light on your question.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 14, 2016February 14th, 2016, 7:49 am EST
How cold is it there? How fast was the current? Is the stream a trib to a lake?
Vprinceii
Providence, RI.

Vprinceii on Feb 16, 2016February 16th, 2016, 5:02 pm EST
That day was around 40 degrees. The water was fairly shallow. But a steady fast movement. On that day the bridge was about ten feet off the water surface. The first time I went over this bridge. The water level was much deeper, closer to the bottom of the bridge. On this day you could see the you could see the medium size bolders in the water. I found out the name of this river is "Millers river". Im not sure if this water is coming from a lake. I don't think so. But, I do know it connects with the Connecticut River.
VJPrincipe
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 17, 2016February 17th, 2016, 10:19 am EST
Here is a link to guided fly fishing on the Millers River. There is also a lot of good information about the river, flies, etc.

http://millersriverflyfishingforum.blogspot.com/
Vprinceii
Providence, RI.

Vprinceii on Feb 18, 2016February 18th, 2016, 8:47 am EST
< />
VJPrincipe
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 18, 2016February 18th, 2016, 10:51 am EST
Victor,

Here is a link to a site where you can purchase all kinds of books for beginner fly tiers.

http://rsearch.shopathome.com/?q=beginners fly tying books
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 22, 2016February 22nd, 2016, 6:29 am EST
That day was around 40 degrees. The water was fairly shallow. But a steady fast movement. On that day the bridge was about ten feet off the water surface. The first time I went over this bridge. The water level was much deeper, closer to the bottom of the bridge. On this day you could see the you could see the medium size bolders in the water. I found out the name of this river is "Millers river". Im not sure if this water is coming from a lake. I don't think so. But, I do know it connects with the Connecticut River.

In winter trout tend to crowd fish into deeper holes -avoidance of fast current is the primary motivation. On nice days they may move in closer to, even into, runs or riffles to feed some -esp later in the season after they've acclimatized. Winter holds are often deep holes but also pocket water with large enough boulders, or wood, that provide pockets of calm water. I've also found numbers of wintering trout in relatively flat stretches with moderate current, the fish using the slow shoreline currents beneath ice shelving for current break and cover. Just gotta explore with your mind and eyes open for winter habitat.

Neat fly, btw. Do make sure that there is enough hook gap exposed to hook fish well. Can't tell by the photo angle but you may have buried the gap a bit too much on that one.
Vprinceii
Providence, RI.

Vprinceii on Feb 27, 2016February 27th, 2016, 7:51 am EST
Just trying something new. I know I have seen this somewhere before.

< />
VJPrincipe
Vprinceii
Providence, RI.

Vprinceii on Feb 28, 2016February 28th, 2016, 6:31 pm EST
Thank you. I'll check it out.
VJPrincipe
Vprinceii
Providence, RI.

Vprinceii on Feb 29, 2016February 29th, 2016, 5:21 am EST
I would be surprised if a trout could get this in their mouth. This bead is not small. The hackle is pretty soft. I'll take another picture with a ruler so you can see scale.
VJPrincipe
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 29, 2016February 29th, 2016, 12:21 pm EST
For wet flies you want the hackle to be soft so it "breathes" and pulsates as you strip it back in or it is just drifting in the flow. You only want stiff hackle barbules when you are tying dry flies. Also that bead is not overly large for that size hook. One constructive comment I would suggest would be to use a softer, more supple, tailing material than woodduck fibers. You can use marabou, ostrich plume, or long webby wet fly hackle barbules to name a few other tailing materials.
Vprinceii
Providence, RI.

Vprinceii on Feb 29, 2016February 29th, 2016, 1:10 pm EST
Thanks. Ill remember that for the next one.
VJPrincipe

Quick Reply