Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Tsali has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Tsali
Tsali on Jun 14, 2015June 14th, 2015, 7:59 pm EDT
Good evening,

I’m working on an identification for a Perlid and something that has me perplexed is the cross vein in the right forewing anal region but doesn’t exist in the left forewing? I’m sure it’s something I’m overlooking. Thanks in advance.

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 15, 2015June 15th, 2015, 12:21 am EDT
Gary-

Cross veins are much less consistently located than longitudinal veins. As I recall, Dr. McCafferty shared that information with me well over a decade ago, and in response to a question very similar to yours. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Tsali
Tsali on Jun 15, 2015June 15th, 2015, 4:11 am EDT
Thanks for the quick reply. If following Merritt and Cummins would you consider the forewings to have no crossveins then? If with one or more crossveins the couplet takes you to Hansonoperla or Perlinella but the diagnostics for these don't seem to fit.

Thanks.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Jun 15, 2015June 15th, 2015, 5:26 am EDT
That looks like a sulfur to me.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 15, 2015June 15th, 2015, 7:25 am EDT
Gary-

I would need some context in order to offer any help regarding genus level identification. In which state or province was this specimen collected, and on what date?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Tsali
Tsali on Jun 15, 2015June 15th, 2015, 4:28 pm EDT
Ignoring the cross vein I keyed this out as Acroneuria but I'm questioning this one for some reason. Body length is 25mm and wing length is 28mm. Specimen was collected in East Tennessee in the Hiwassee River in June. I've attached a couple of dorsal and ventral images to the original post.

Thanks.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jun 15, 2015June 15th, 2015, 5:53 pm EDT
Gary-

Looks like Acroneuria to me. Here are a couple of sites that show pictures.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/896136/bgimage

http://bugguide.net/node/view/60917/bgimage
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Tsali
Tsali on Jun 17, 2015June 17th, 2015, 4:44 am EDT
Mark - Thanks for the response.

Roger - Was that enough info? I suppose I should have provided better pics of the key diagnostic parts.

Thanks!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 17, 2015June 17th, 2015, 8:30 am EDT
Gary-

Roger - Was that enough info?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I also share your and Mark's belief that it's Acroneuria, for which the following species are present in Tennessee:

Acroneuria abnormis (Common Stone)
Acroneuria arida (Elegant Stone)
Acroneuria carolinensis (Carolina Stone)
Acroneuria covelli (no common name)
Acroneuria evoluta (Constricted Stone)
Acroneuria filicis (Illinois Stone)
Acroneuria frisoni (Central Stone)
Acroneuria lycorias (Boreal Stone)
Acroneuria perplexa (Enigmatic Stone)
Acroneuria petersi (Etowah Stone)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 17, 2015June 17th, 2015, 9:50 am EDT
Acroneuria perplexa (Enigmatic Stone)

That is a great name for a bug! "perplexa".

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply