Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Late Season spinner (Upper Midwest)
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jul 12, 2008July 12th, 2008, 10:30 am EDT
I know this is probably a late season spinner, but I am not sure which Heptageniidae genus and species this would be?
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 12, 2008July 12th, 2008, 10:58 am EDT
John,

It might be Stenonema femoratum, the last remaining North American species in that genus after the others were moved into Maccaffertium. It's hard to say anything really definitive about many Light Cahill/Cream Cahill females because so many of them haven't been associated in a conclusive way. The things that suggest femoratum are the crowded cross-veins near the bulla region of the forewing and the markings on the back (tergites). Still, some of the Maccaffertium also have crowded cross-veins, and I can't see enough of the back markings to be sure they match. (In femoratum, the markings are described as a central dot with a dash on either side of it.)
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jul 14, 2008July 14th, 2008, 1:37 pm EDT
the last remaining North American species

May Stenonema remain forever in the halls of Mayfly entomology! :)

Gonzo, thanks! If I get a some free time (and I can find it) I will try to post a closer shot that I took.

Quick Reply