Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flatstick96 has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Apr 9, 2010April 9th, 2010, 6:29 am EDT
So when I got into my car to drive to work this AM, this guy was sitting on the passenger's side front seat. You don't see many of his sort 'round these here parts, so I thought I'd snap a few pics when I got to work, in the hopes that maybe one of you could identify this hitchhiker.

He's missing one leg, but he's alive - doesn't move though unless I touch him (and then only barely).

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 9, 2010April 9th, 2010, 9:18 am EDT
Flatstick-

It would seem your he is actually a she. Your gorgeous photos are of a female imago of family Heptageniidae. The crowded cross veins at bulla suggest Stenonema femoratum to me, but it seems rather early for their first emergence unless you are from a southern state, so perhaps not.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96 on Apr 9, 2010April 9th, 2010, 11:14 am EDT
Thanks for the help. I thought it might be a she, actually - but I really wasn't sure...

I'm in Austin, TX - and this is definitely the first mayfly I've ever seen here. I've let it hang out on my desk today, as sort of a "reminder of home" (the people in my office are now convinced I'm nuts).

It's weird, but seeing this thing in my car today brightened my mood noticeably, and having it around all day has made me feel good. I guess it kinda makes sense; for me, mayflies conjure up all sorts of positive images/memories of home, engaging in the one activity I enjoy above all others - trout fishing...
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 10, 2010April 10th, 2010, 3:41 am EDT
Flatstick-

You may need to look a bit closer, as there are ~108 mayfly species reported from TX.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Flatstick96
Flatstick96 on Apr 10, 2010April 10th, 2010, 5:20 pm EDT
I can think of some places here where they would likely live, but not many near me (and none in my immediate vicinity) - that's why finding one inside my car kinda caught me off guard.

Do they typically fly very far from wherever they emerge?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 10, 2010April 10th, 2010, 6:03 pm EDT
Flatstick-

No, not typically, although some species are reported to fly upstream several miles prior to oviposition. Under normal circumstances, I would assume there must be a source of moving water fairly close to where you found it, as Heptageniid nymphs cling to the underside rocks or other flat surfaces in slow to moderate current. However, your friend seems to have developed the habit of hitchhiking, so who knows.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply