Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Leskorcala has attached these 4 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Leskorcala
Leskorcala on Sep 10, 2020September 10th, 2020, 5:16 pm EDT
This is largest mayfly of the Late summer / fall season on the Montana waters. On my home river Bitterroot river this big fall drake mayfly hatches during the day. They are big size 10-12 hook size and floating long ways on the surface before wild trout switch from sipping PMD or BWO and take this big dun.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 13, 2020September 13th, 2020, 7:52 am EDT
Cool photos. Thanks for posting!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 14, 2020September 14th, 2020, 7:31 am EDT
Nice photos Les!

I still haven't had any luck finding hecuba adults to photograph myself... never quite in the right time/place. I do have a nymph on here, which I collected in late August on the Bitterroot a couple years ago.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Leskorcala
Leskorcala on Sep 23, 2020September 23rd, 2020, 5:24 pm EDT
Thank you Martin and Jason,
Living by the river allows me to find them. I am just about everyday by the water and noticed that hecuba adults do drift in afternoon hrs and mostly on cloudy, cooler and even rainy days. All my samplings are from the Bitterrot river. I need to collect few nymphs. If you need any reference of the adult i have many of them.

Quick Reply