Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dorsal view of a Stenonema femoratum (Heptageniidae) (Cream Cahill) Mayfly Nymph from Mongaup Creek in New York
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 18, 2007May 18th, 2007, 7:49 am EDT
I've been looking for one of these for a while. After I realized that everything I was calling Stenonema had been renamed to Maccaffertium, the section for this once-popular genus was empty. Now with this one from a small stream in the Catskills I'm pretty sure I've got an actual Stenonema again.

I would welcome a verification from those of you with more entomological training, but it looks right to me.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Quillgordon
Schuylkill County, PA.

Quillgordon on May 20, 2007May 20th, 2007, 2:09 pm EDT
Is this insect in this genus solely based on its gill structure?
It seems odd that there is only one species in this new classification.
I think I have a specimen that was found on 5/18/07.
Flyfishing is a state of mind! .............. Q.g.

C/R........barbless
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 20, 2007May 20th, 2007, 2:40 pm EDT
I don't know, but I doubt the gill structure is the entire reason for genus differentiation. It's probably just the most visible of many differences.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply