Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Agresens has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Agresens
Kinderhook, NY

Agresens on Jun 17, 2018June 17th, 2018, 11:57 pm EDT
Two images - please help identify.

The NYMPH appears to be a Hendrickson?

The DUN was quite large. Seems like it had just hatched with malformed wings. A Drake?

Thanks
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 18, 2018June 18th, 2018, 5:45 pm EDT
Hi August-

I believe (what you refer to as the dun) is actually a male imago of genus Isonychia

I also believe (what you refer to as a Hendrickson), which is a common name often used for Eastern Ephemerella, is probably of genus Drunella.

The next time you photograph a mayfly nymph, I suggest using a pickle jar lid, and filling it with enough water to completely cover the nymph. That way, the body appendages will stand out, as opposed to being all stuck together.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Agresens
Kinderhook, NY

Agresens on Jun 23, 2018June 23rd, 2018, 1:50 am EDT
Thank you!

I'm packing my pickle jar lid now.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jun 27, 2018June 27th, 2018, 5:54 am EDT
The nymph looks like it might belong to the genus Maccaffertium (family Heptageniidae). Used to be in Stenonema.

Quick Reply