Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Benthosfan has attached these 7 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Baetidae #1
Baetidae #2
Baetidae #3
Baetidae #4
Baetidae #5
Baetidae #6
Baetidae #7
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 2, 2021February 2nd, 2021, 10:53 am EST
Hi Steve,

I wish I could help more with these. It's almost impossible to key most Baetidae beyond the family level without extreme closeups of some tiny, hard to access parts on the mouth and elsewhere. This board is occasionally visited by experts who might recognize one (at least the genus) based on the general "look." However, that ability comes only from extensive personal experience and can't be gleaned from any available key unfortunately.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 6, 2021February 6th, 2021, 1:36 am EST
Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I hope you some answers to your questions.
Mike.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 6, 2021February 6th, 2021, 5:52 am EST
Family="Baetidae"
USA_States="OK"

Family Scientific Name

Baetidae Acentrella turbida 2 tails as nymph
Baetidae Acerpenna macdunnoughi 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Acerpenna pygmaea 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Anafroptilum minor 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Apobaetis futilis 2 tails as nymph
Baetidae Baetis bicaudatus 2 tails as nymph
Baetidae Baetis flavistriga 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Baetis intercalaris 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Callibaetis floridanus 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Callibaetis pictus 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Camelobaetidius mexicanus 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Camelobaetidius variabilis 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Diphetor hageni 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Fallceon quilleri 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Heterocloeon curiosum 2 tails as nymph
Baetidae Iswaeon rubrolaterale 2 tails as nymph
Baetidae Neocloeon alamance ? tails as nymph
Baetidae Plauditus dubius 2 tails as nymph
Baetidae Plauditus punctiventris 2 tails as nymph
Baetidae Procloeon pennulatum 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Procloeon rubropictum 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Procloeon texanum 3 tails as nymph
Baetidae Procloeon viridoculare 3 tails as nymph

Note: there are multiple genera in your images, as some have 2 tails and some have 3 tails
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 8, 2021February 8th, 2021, 5:40 pm EST
Benthosfan, even getting high quality pictures won't necessarily make the ID easy. I got a really nice microscope setup myself this fall and still really struggle with the relevant parts of Baetids. For example, it's often not enough to just get an in-focus closeup of the underside of the head: you have to tease out specific parts that might normally be hidden, and photograph them at just the right angle to see the relevant tiny details. There's a patch of tiny setae called the "villipore" on the legs that's also extremely difficult to see, let alone image, with most microscopes.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 2, 2021April 2nd, 2021, 10:22 am EDT
Confirmed possible IDs for ...

#7 is Acentrella parvula or Oxyethira

Oxyethira a caddisfly genus. Happy April Fools Day?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply