Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Quagmireage has attached these 4 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Quagmireage
Somerset, PA

Quagmireage on Apr 10, 2015April 10th, 2015, 10:44 am EDT
Here are a few pictures of a mayfly nymph (and a stonefly nymph) that I pulled from the Barronville section of Laurel Hill Creek in Somerset county PA.
At first I thought the mayfly nymph was a Hendrickson but now I'm not sure.
Any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Apr 10, 2015April 10th, 2015, 11:20 am EDT
Clark - Looks like a Maccaffertium. I can't go any further on the identification. Just not familiar enough with the genus. Here's a link to a nymph on Bugguide; http://bugguide.net/node/view/96319/bgimage
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 10, 2015April 10th, 2015, 12:24 pm EDT
Not a Hendrickson (Ep subvaria) for sure. I believe, as Millcreek has stated, it is a March Brown (Maccaffertium) nymph.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 10, 2015April 10th, 2015, 5:03 pm EDT
Welcome to the forum, Quag.

Normally you need a better look at the gills to determine genus let alone species in this heptageniid group. Luckily, the maculation on the anterior of ventral sternum seg. 9 is unmistakedly Maccaffertium vicarium (March Brown).

The stonefly is a perlid (Golden Stone) most likely of the Acroneuria genus. There isn't enough visual info to attempt a species ID (which is tenuous at best with this genus even if more detail was available).
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 11, 2015April 11th, 2015, 5:58 am EDT
Welcome to the forum, Quag.

Normally you need a better look at the gills to determine genus let alone species in this heptageniid group. Luckily, the maculation on the anterior of ventral sternum seg. 9 is unmistakedly Maccaffertium vicarium (March Brown).

The stonefly is a perlid (Golden Stone) most likely of the Acroneuria genus. There isn't enough visual info to attempt a species ID (which is tenuous at best with this genus even if more detail was available).

Thanks for adding the common name. It saves me from looking it up, although I'm getting better at remembering.
Bruce
Quagmireage
Somerset, PA

Quagmireage on Apr 11, 2015April 11th, 2015, 2:44 pm EDT
Thanks everyone for the info! This was my first attempt at stream side entomology and it's great to have this resource to turn to!

Quick Reply