Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

RustySpinnr has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
RustySpinnr
RustySpinnr's profile picture
Musconetcong watershed, northwest NJ

RustySpinnr on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 10:10 am EDT
I recently took this underwater shot in the Big Flat Brook River in northwest NJ and can't properly ID the mayfly in the picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 11:13 am EDT
Hi Rusty,

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like Maccaffertium vicarium (March Brown) to me, based on the dark tergal banding and head markings. A much better look at the gills (and a few other features) is necessary to know for sure, though.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 12:35 pm EDT
Kurt,

You seem to be the man these days...Mr. Bug-ID guy...You are working overtime there fella! Get much sleep? :)

How about that big fat, waiting to be popped off the rock there and in to a trout, caddis larva? :)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 1:07 pm EDT
Yes, I quit my day job. Jason's pay is much better...:)

The caddis is in the genus Rhyacophila (Green Rockworm, Green Sedge). Based on what can be seen of the the head capsule and notum markings, I suspect the species fuscala.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
RustySpinnr

RustySpinnr on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 1:59 pm EDT
Hi Rusty,

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like Maccaffertium vicarium (March Brown) to me, based on the dark tergal banding and head markings. A much better look at the gills (and a few other features) is necessary to know for sure, though.

Thanks, it looks different than most Maccaffertium I come across.
RustySpinnr

RustySpinnr on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 2:02 pm EDT
Yes, I quit my day job. Jason's pay is much better...:)

The caddis is in the genus Rhyacophila (Green Rockworm, Green Sedge). Based on what can be seen of the the head capsule and notum markings, I suspect the species fuscala.

I'm pretty sure that Rhyaccophila is attacking the cased caddis which is why I loved this shot. I had only noticed the mayfly nymph from walking through the stream and stopped to put my camera underwater to get a better idea of what I was looking at. Only after downloading this picture did I see the other action. In fact, I first thought I might be looking at a stonefly and not a mayfly nymph as I didn't have on polarized glasses at the time...
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 27, 2012March 27th, 2012, 1:19 am EDT
Yes, very unusual, especially the reddish legs. As for what that rockworm is dining on, not sure what the heck that is.:)
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Mar 30, 2012March 30th, 2012, 7:07 pm EDT
That is a great picture my man, nice work!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply