Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CenCaAngler has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
?
Some sort of Caddis larva? Any help would
Be appreciated.
CenCaAngler
Fresno, CA, USA

CenCaAngler on Jul 24, 2015July 24th, 2015, 7:31 am EDT
What kind of caddis adults /larvae are these?
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jul 24, 2015July 24th, 2015, 9:43 am EDT
Johnny -

I don't have any idea what your adult caddis is but the larvae look like they could be early instar Dicosmoecus gilvipes. Here are some photos.

http://aquaticinsectsofcentralvirginia.blogspot.com/2014/05/fooled-by-case-theyre-immature-october.html

http://joycegross.com/images.php?img=2222_1710

Mark
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jul 24, 2015July 24th, 2015, 3:46 pm EDT
Where were these collected - the larvae also look like some of the eastern Pycnopsyche species. Also how large are the larvae? The adult is not a caddis, the antennae are too short for something that size. It is one of the megalotera.
CenCaAngler
Fresno, CA, USA

CenCaAngler on Jul 25, 2015July 25th, 2015, 1:17 am EDT
The larvae (approx. 1"-2" with dark brown/black heads and what appeared to be lighter, cream-colored abdomens) were collected from submerged boulders along the banks of the river as well as on rocks positioned between the seams of faster and slower moving water. Any more input or helpful advice and information would be/is greatly appreciated.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jul 25, 2015July 25th, 2015, 11:09 am EDT
Sorry, poorly worded question on my part. What Country/State/Province were these collected in? If I presume CA from your response on the Megaloptera The middle larvae doesn't look as burly as the other two so if may be a species of Psychoglypha.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 25, 2015July 25th, 2015, 5:52 pm EDT
Dave-

The adult is not a caddis, the antennae are too short for something that size. It is one of the megalotera.

I believe it to be the Giant Lacewing, Polystoechotes punctata.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CenCaAngler
Fresno, CA, USA

CenCaAngler on Jul 26, 2015July 26th, 2015, 12:02 am EDT
The larvae were collect on the Middle Fork of the Kings River in central California, specifically in kings Canyon national park.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Aug 2, 2015August 2nd, 2015, 10:43 am EDT
Great job on the ID, Roger. The lack of mandibles precluded the fishflies and I wasn't figuring lacewings over its size.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply