Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CantCatchNE
CantCatchNE on Jul 1, 2014July 1st, 2014, 8:32 am EDT
Hi Everyone. I have fished in many parts of the US.

- Beach @ First River Bridge North Conway
- Gunnisson in Colorado
- All over the Northeast stopping when I see a stream
- Utah all over the place
- I tried once in Bozeman, MT

Can anyone give me very specific locations to fish anywhere in the US? I will be @ Yellowstone Park and Glacier national park mid- August. I can fly/travel anywhere. I'm looking for very specific location suggestions and some assistance on how to fish the areas. I'm not great at fly fishing yet but I'd like to spend a few weeks traveling and learning.

Any help would be great.
Gus
Gus's profile picture
colorado

Gus on Jul 2, 2014July 2nd, 2014, 11:54 am EDT
The Rogue River has a great run of summer steelhead! There are a couple towns that the Rogue runs trough. I like the fishing best in Medford plus it is close enough to the Klamath River (with in an hour) down in Northern California when has better numbers, less pressure, but slightly smaller fish.
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Jul 3, 2014July 3rd, 2014, 9:35 am EDT
If you are going to be in Yellowstone anyway, there's no reason whatsoever to range very far. That's the best trout country in the US, I think you could say. Gallatin, Yellowstone, Lamar basin, all of that should be fishing well.

Ranging a little further into Montana, from experience I'm a huge fan of the upper Bitterroot (especially the East and West Fork) as well as the upper Big Hole and its tributaries. Beautiful river valleys, both of those, and you'll have more fun the further up you go just about any tributary. The Clark Fork is a good one too, but the fishing is spotty, localized. Pretty hit and miss but when I've done well I've done real well.

Plenty of mountain lakes to fish in Glacier, as well as the three forks of the Flathead River. Not as good as the Yellowstone area, but still solid especially for native cuttthroat. The fish are small because the water is basically all snowmelt with zero nutrients. But on the flipside, easy to catch for the most part.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 4, 2014July 4th, 2014, 2:33 am EDT
If you don't have a particular place in mind, and you have the resources to fly all over the place, your money might be better spent just picking one region known for good trout fishing and hiring a guide to help you catch more fish.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Neil
Neil's profile picture
Thermopolis, Wyoming

Neil on Jul 20, 2014July 20th, 2014, 8:47 am EDT
check out the Bighorn River in Thermopolis on your way to Yellowstone. its a dry fly paradise and before now, nobody knows about it!
fish hard or die
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jul 20, 2014July 20th, 2014, 12:04 pm EDT
some of us have known about it for years............... :-)
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 21, 2014July 21st, 2014, 12:00 pm EDT
Well Neil...By the end of next week I should be a ways down stream from you at Ft Smith. No doubt in a flotilla, but I've never been there.

Wyoming is beautiful...Was there last year. Would like to spend some time there instead of racing through.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply