Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mayfly47
ilion ny

Mayfly47 on Mar 27, 2014March 27th, 2014, 9:22 am EDT
looking for a new wader bag, and not wanting to spend more that 50.00.anybody have any suggestions.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 27, 2014March 27th, 2014, 10:14 am EDT
Get a box of 2 mil plastic garden waste bags and you'll have enough for a couple of seasons. I prefer to use these as I've found my wader shoe laces go on better when they are wet. So at the end of the day I put my waders in one bag and the wading shoes in another and just twist the top tight so the next day the laces are still wet and the shoes go on easier and the laces tighten up nicely.

Or buy one from Bass Pro called the "Twin Peak Wader Bag" for $25.00.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 27, 2014March 27th, 2014, 11:58 am EDT
I use a mesh, knock-down laundry basket type of thing. it's big enough to dump my wading boots in the bottom (dirty goes in first...), then my waders. The mesh lets things begin to dry out on the trip back to wherever, and it was CHEAP, maybe $10.00. I can thank my daughter-away-at-college for this idea, she brings her laundry home every couple weeks. (kids seem to grow up very, very slowly).

just my 2 cents,

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Mayfly47
ilion ny

Mayfly47 on Mar 28, 2014March 28th, 2014, 5:02 am EDT
thanks for the ideas
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 28, 2014March 28th, 2014, 6:28 am EDT
Simms taco bag, doubles as a mat to stand on while getting in and out of your waders. For $30.00 its well worth it! Don't know how I lived without mine.

Quick Reply