Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 23, 2009June 23rd, 2009, 4:14 am EDT
Lee's last wader post prompted this one. I've had good luck with Gorilla Glue to fix loose felts on wader shoes. Since it's activated by water and dries relatively quickly one doesn't have to dry the boot. I use a hose with a stream nozzle to blast out all the debris I can, apply the glue, use screws to hold it in place and scrape the excess as it expands and weeps out of the seams. The expansion helps force the glue into the felt, and the stuff seems to hold well on all the boots I've used it for. Careful with the screws, though. Be sure they're not going in far enough to dig holes in your wader foot. Or you can try removing them after the glue sets.

Does anyone else have any good tricks for boot repair? I've decided to try Aquastealth soles on my next pair to reduce the chance of hitchhikers, so I'm wondering about repairing them as well.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jun 23, 2009June 23rd, 2009, 6:38 am EDT
I’m on my third set of felt replacements, and amazingly, the boots are in exceptionally good shape. I haven’t tried Gorilla Glue, though it does sound like an excellent product, but I can attest to Pliobond Industrial Adhesive. I’ve never had the felt come loose, even at the edges; I’ve actually worn the felt through to the boot itself.

On the subject of Aquastealth I am interested to hear what others have to say. I purchased a pair when they first came out, on the recommendation of the salesperson; “as good as, if not better than, felt.” This guy said he was a fly fisherman and owned a pair himself. I thought how could a fellow fly fisherman steer me wrong? Beware of biased opinions when money is involved! I found them to be better than felt, on slippery muddy banks and snow, which I attribute to the slightly tread like pattern. However, on the slime and moss covered rock of freestones, I found them down right dangerous. I sent a letter to the manufacturer with my, field tested, opinion and never heard back. I used them that year, I think it was the first and only year I lost my footing and took a dive, then s#!t canned them and went back to felt. Anyway, I’m sure some of you swear by them and I would be interested to hear the feedback. Like I said, I tried them when they first came out so maybe they’ve made some improvement.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Jun 23, 2009June 23rd, 2009, 4:33 pm EDT
Louis: I hadn't thought about using screws with Gorilla Glue. That's one I'll have to ponder and perhaps try. I do know the only repair I tried with Gorilla Glue didn't go very well. But I was working with bad merchandise. I was unlucky enough to buy a pair of the Orvis studded rubber shoes when they first came out and the soles came all but off and most of the studs fell out in the first 20 hours of use. I tried to fix them with GG a couple times to no real avail. Orvis subsequently sent out rebates/or new shoes to everybody who bought this first generation of these shoes. They had the problem narrowed down to 2 bad PO lots that were ID'ed on the shoes.

But by then, I had a pair of Bean's studded Aquastealth, so I banked the rebate and never looked back.

Falsifly: I like my studded aquastealth shoes, but they aren't for everywhere. They're great on the Driftless creeks where you have to climb a lot of high banks to move in and out of the water and there are few rocks bigger than a Hamilton Beach steam iron. And they're also good on the sand creeks like the Mecan, White and Tomorrow in Central WI.

But I wouldn't take them for example, down to the Smokies or use them on my little freestones back home in PA or on any of the smallmouth waters I frequent in WI or PA. They don't grab like felt, especially studded felt. And if I want to end up on my arse in the creek, I'd just as soon pick the time and place rather than have my wading shoes dictate it to me.

So, I have a pair of studded felt Weinbrenners I use in these places.
FOKer
Portland, Oregon

FOKer on Jun 23, 2009June 23rd, 2009, 6:27 pm EDT
Have you ever heard of Korkers? They have the solution you are looking for...interchangeable soles. You get the best of both worlds...felt and sticky rubber, but only have to pack one pr. of boots...
www.korkers.com Check'em out.

Funny, I just used Gorilla Glue this evening to fix my boat pulley, I love that stuff!

Cheers.
"Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) American Essayist, Poet, Naturalist

Quick Reply