Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Jul 6, 2010July 6th, 2010, 4:10 am EDT
I´ll be spending some time in Spain this summer and fall. Since my girlfriend is studying in Barcelona, I´m trying to find accessible streams around there.

Found a site called "Salvelinus" but they seem to be an exclusive guiding company for those with heavy wallets? They werent interesting in responding to my e-mails at least.

Anyhow, the plan is to bring my 7-piece Orvis 4wt, a simple tent and even simpler food, and search for nice waters to fish.
What kind of licenses do I need, if there is any? How are the waters generally managed?
Last but nut least, where to fish?
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 12, 2010July 12th, 2010, 5:54 am EDT
Shanti,

I haven't seen many from Spain posting here, and although some of our folks may have fished Spain, you might do best locating some fly shops in Spain near Barcelona and asking them.

Also, a brief Google search turned up these ideas:

"Pyrenees : Wouldn't it be great if in the U.K. all you needed to do was pull up at a pub or restaurant close to a river, buy a permit and go fishing ? Well if you are fishing the Spanish Pyrenees this is exactly what you do! A fair grasp of the lingo is required, and you may face the odd knock back from locals protecting "their" fishing. But on the whole you will be given access to miles of crystal clear streams, full of wild Brown Trout." http://www.hartflyfishing.demon.co.uk/spain.html

See also: http://www.hola-andorra.com/fish/english/andfishi.html

http://tienda.salmon2000.com/

Your girlfriend can probably track down additional sources for you--if you can ask her. Best of luck.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Jul 12, 2010July 12th, 2010, 8:12 am EDT
Thanks for the links Martinlf!

Actually my girlfriend found a fishingstore this morning right outside her place. I gave her the keywords trucha, rio, con mosca (trout, river, with fly).
Hoping for success, but somewhat afraid that shes coming home with flyers about deep sea-fishing or something..
Bonada
Collbató, Barcelona

Bonada on Jul 14, 2010July 14th, 2010, 11:52 pm EDT
Hello Shanti!

A friend from Colorado sent me this link because he saw you needed some information about fishing in Spain. I live near Barcelona although I grew up in the Pyrenees and I am a flyfishing women since I was 6 years old. Regarding licenses, Spain is very complicated as every regions asks for a different one. If you are staying in Barcelona, you should buy the Catalonian license and I would recomend you go to the Pyrenees (the closest good area from Barcelona for fishing is near Camprodon, 1.5h away). The region is characterized by nice high mountain rivers and some reaches are protected genetically (apparently we still have the breed that colonised the rest of Europe after glaciations). If you go there, take some hairy ugly caddisflies! They work great!

Other good areas in Spain are Leon, Burgos, Palencia, Asturias and Galicia regions. You could also try to catch some sea trouts or salmons in Galicia or Asturias!

Good luck!

Núria

To get the license for catalonia, go to: http://www.cat365.net/Inici/Ciutadans/Esport/LlicenciaPesca/III2_ST_MostrarInformacio2?I=2&ruta=%2FChannels%2FAutors%2FInici%2FCiutadans%2FEsport%2FLlicenciaPesca%2FSolPescaRecreativa
Núria
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 15, 2010July 15th, 2010, 10:58 am EDT
This site never ceases to amaze me. Welcome, Bonada, and thanks for adding to our diversity and international standing.

--Fred Chappell
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Jul 15, 2010July 15th, 2010, 11:23 am EDT
Muchas Grachias por tu respuesta! Many thanks!

The pyrenees has been on my mind ever since I planned to go to Barcelona, seems to be a really nice place!

Also, closer places as Ripoll, La Pobla de Lillet is also interesting.
The biggest problem right now I think is transportation, buses and trains. I been thinking about hitch-hiking and hoping that works better in Catalonia than Sweden.

If time-schedule works, would you be interested in a days fishing?
My flybox is open for you, in that case. And of course, the gasoline is on me.

Anyway, thanks again!
MT319
NY

MT319 on Jul 15, 2010July 15th, 2010, 5:37 pm EDT
While not yet officially signed into law I believe it's customary in Spain to wear soccer cleats as opposed to wading boots...also I hear the rivers around the city of Pamplona are excellent for Bull Trout
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Jul 15, 2010July 15th, 2010, 10:12 pm EDT
MT319, I dont even think my wading shoes will fit in the bag I´m bringing to Barcelona.
Ill probably use my jogging shoes, I´m going up for some grayling action tonight, for the weekend and I´ll see then how that works.

Fotball (soccer as you call it) shoes would maybe good though, good grip! ;)
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 20, 2010July 20th, 2010, 11:18 am EDT
I'm officially jealous!
I've been faithfully watching THE TOUR and every time I see them riding along those stunning mountain rivers in both the Pyrenees and Alps I tell my wife "put it on the bucket list".
As for the race I'm officially pulling for the boy from Luxemborg after Contadors disrepect for the mayo jaunne!
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Jul 20, 2010July 20th, 2010, 10:14 pm EDT
Yes, JOHNW, does not look too bad those waters.

The plain ticket is now booked, on august 9th I´m leaving on a jetplane dont know when I´ll be back again.. ;)
Sara22
Barcelona

Sara22 on Oct 25, 2014October 25th, 2014, 1:58 pm EDT
Hi Martinlf,
The link Barcelona fly fishing shop link is not correct.
The link correct is:
http://www.flyshopsalmon2000.com/en/fly-fishing-shop-barcelona
and have guided fly fishing service with trips near Barcelona.

Thanks,
Gracias,

Shanti,

I haven't seen many from Spain posting here, and although some of our folks may have fished Spain, you might do best locating some fly shops in Spain near Barcelona and asking them.

Also, a brief Google search turned up these ideas:

"Pyrenees : Wouldn't it be great if in the U.K. all you needed to do was pull up at a pub or restaurant close to a river, buy a permit and go fishing ? Well if you are fishing the Spanish Pyrenees this is exactly what you do! A fair grasp of the lingo is required, and you may face the odd knock back from locals protecting "their" fishing. But on the whole you will be given access to miles of crystal clear streams, full of wild Brown Trout." http://www.hartflyfishing.demon.co.uk/spain.html

See also: http://www.hola-andorra.com/fish/english/andfishi.html

http://tienda.salmon2000.com/

Your girlfriend can probably track down additional sources for you--if you can ask her. Best of luck.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 25, 2019September 25th, 2019, 7:06 am EDT
Bumping this older thread up for the guy who posted about Spain. I thought we had a previous discussion on this topic. I don't know if any of the information will be current or useful, but take a look.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply