Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 30, 2012March 30th, 2012, 8:26 am EDT
There is a rumor going around that Spence sold his business and won't be sitting in front of a computer everyday babbling along like he does from the comfort of his office desk chair instead of getting some "real" work done...There could then be a ray of hope that there will be less "Lore" and more warm & cozy fact here for the less romantic TroutNuts to chew on...:)

The other side of this rumor states that once he realized he had actually posted north of 1,300 times!, he was so embarassed that he checked himself in to re-hab to wean himself off his TroutNut addiction and re-introduce his troubled dark soul to a damn trout stream...

Wish him well...Oh brothers of the angle! Wish him well. :) May his waders never be away from his lovely Au Sable long enough to dry!

Spence

http://www.gateslodge.com/fishingreport.php ...Nice Henny pic.

Matt...Tony...Shanti...That's Spence standing in your Montana fishing hole...Damn! :)

Tony...Somethings burning a hole in my wallet and I think its spelled W-I-N-S-T-O-N! Go Wings! Good luck to your Pens!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 30, 2012March 30th, 2012, 12:56 pm EDT
Just an unsubstantiated rumor, right? I hope there's nothing to it.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 30, 2012March 30th, 2012, 6:57 pm EDT
Jason...My wife left Michigan State in 1977, in the spring of that year. That fall she started working for a large insurance company and has been there ever since...October it would of been 35 years...Today it was official...We sold the place/I've worked with her for 20...Don't fret we did good for ourselves...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 10:48 am EDT
Wishing you well, and that your boots never shall dry. :)
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 4:48 pm EDT
Spence, where are you heading to? Anywhere closer to my neck of the woods? Found your dream cabin on the banks of the Au Sable? Or heading out west somewhere? Do let us know!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 8:45 pm EDT
Going to look for Gonzo...:)

Spence

Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 4:09 am EDT
Rumor has it that he is moving to Pittsburgh so that he can root for the Pens.
I did promise you 2 of my 7 tickets, didn't I?
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 7:01 am EDT
Rumor has it that he is moving to Pittsburgh so that he can root for the Pens.
I did promise you 2 of my 7 tickets, didn't I?

Ha! Thanks for the offer my friend but this old boy has hung around these parts too long. I knew who Gordie Howe was before my family moved back to the Detroit area in 1963...Gordie would box my ears for me...:) Or, at least, straighten me out with a well placed elbow.

The powers that be upstairs running your team did a wonderful job modelling themselves after another winning team...The Red Wings (forgetting, of course, that we borrowed Scotty Bowman from you for a few years...:)) Now we here in Detroit need to model our own recovery maybe on the one your fair city pulled off...

You keep buying tickets mister we will have to name a whole section after your family...:) Instead of a number for the section we will have to paint your family name there...

Spence

Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 3, 2012April 3rd, 2012, 7:17 pm EDT
Spence.. Congrats on a very successful and pleasant past, and an even more wonderful future to come. Ha, where ever it may take you! But don't forget when i head back east in a few months, we have a date up there some where.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 4, 2012April 4th, 2012, 9:05 am EDT
Thanks a lot Jess. Anytime you are ready to fish Michigan just send me a PM about when/where etc and we'll see what we can do...Also. If not this year for sure next I'll be heading out your way and maybe we can hassle some fish together.

I'll talk with you later...I'm actually going out to cut the grass in the middle of the day in the middle of the week...:) Then its back to getting ready for opening day and my May trip north.

Take Care!

Spence

Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 4, 2012April 4th, 2012, 7:45 pm EDT
Sounds good my man!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 7, 2012April 7th, 2012, 8:44 am EDT
Good luck, Spence. Now that is exciting news. Hope you keep a laptop near your tying bench.

Quick Reply