Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Msmith14
Msmith14's profile picture
Msmith14 on Jan 22, 2012January 22nd, 2012, 3:01 pm EST
Hi, im looking to get a new fly rod. I want to get the best performing rod I can without spending more than $200.00. im thinking about getting a l.l. bean rod. what do you guys think about them? and what would you subjest me getting?
Thanks.
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Jan 23, 2012January 23rd, 2012, 8:09 am EST
I suggest checking out the TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters)rods.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 23, 2012January 23rd, 2012, 8:56 am EST
Msmith14,

I have a LL Bean 8' 6" for 3wt, but it was made way back in the 90's sometime when I believe their blanks were actually Loomis. I bought it second hand and it was my small fly (Tricos/Pseudocleon/Baetis) rod El-supreme-o! That was way back when I wasn't ankle-chained to the wage-slave desk and could sneek up north in the summer...:)

Ahhh! Those were the days! Be on the river just before sun-up and fish through the Tricos...If I were lucky I'd get a late morning spattering of E lata's (now D lata's ;), and then toss ant's and small beetles...I'd end up at the cabin across from the Riverside Tavern...Have a little lunch and a cold Molson or two, and take a nap before heading out for the evening activity and to find where I'd left my car..."Summertime and the living was easy! The fish were jumping and Spence was a little buzzed...:)"

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Doublespey
Doublespey on Jan 23, 2012January 23rd, 2012, 12:26 pm EST

Any of those co.'s like Bean, or Cabelas' have their rods made by accepting a bid. Some years they are made by co. X, and another year by Co. Y. They then mark them up. I would look for a rod made by a co. I know that makes rods. My other concern, and I always say this, is...I determine what I will use the rod for say...as you said, a small fly rod, light tippets etc., and then I would look for a medium action rod. My fast action rods are for throwing big flies, and throwing more distance than I do with my small fly rod. Action means a lot to me. There are a number of good rods that met your price point..Temple Fork was mentioned. They now have a wide range of price points, and rod actions...and a good waranty that doesn't take a long time to get your rod back, or a replacement. Another highly respected rod maker I think makes a rod in your price catagory is St. Croix.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 23, 2012January 23rd, 2012, 1:32 pm EST
There are so many good serviceable rods out there now; I wouldn't hesitate. I may be running a camp this coming summer and am having a Bean rod sent to me to look over. The only suggestion I'd have is, if there is something specific you like/want in action or cosmetics, it always pays to look at a rod in hand first.
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 23, 2012January 23rd, 2012, 6:32 pm EST
I hear good things about those Temple Forks rods, but I would also suggest a Redington. I got to handle a few and they seem nice enough. You can get a rod and reel for around 200 and get a lifetime warranty with it. What weight rod are you looking at? What would your target species be?
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 1, 2012March 1st, 2012, 11:34 am EST
I've bought more than a couple 'entry-level' St Croix rods over the years, and find myself using them more than my 'good' rods. Even my Trout-guru fishing Fiend/friend says they have a good action and 'feel' to them..and Chad uses higher-end Sage and Loomis exclusively.

I think Mel Krieger said it best when he advised 'whumping' the rod to check for tip-heaviness and action- I do this before buying any rod.

I Peter 5:7 "Cast your cares upon Him.."

Quick Reply