Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lupe21
arkansas

Lupe21 on May 29, 2013May 29th, 2013, 5:28 pm EDT
hey guys I am new here, I am a big bass fisherman, but have always wanted to get into fly fishing as I live about an hour from good trout spots now I do fish for trout but when I do Is just use a open face reel and ultra lite rod recently I purchased a hardy the perfect 3 1/8 fly reel, I gave 10 bucks for the thing, from what I understand it would be better to put this up, are these good little reels and I are they worth anything, also if you where to fish it what all purpose fly rod for around 100-200 would you get for it
Lupe21
arkansas

Lupe21 on May 29, 2013May 29th, 2013, 5:30 pm EDT
http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/119124-vintage-fly-reels/ I could not figure out how to post pictures but here is a link to where I did post pictures of it
Martin595
Martin595 on Jul 5, 2013July 5th, 2013, 11:31 pm EDT
The vintage reel is very strong and useful in number of ways. As it has the knurled metal knob, metal spool case and spool, and paperwork.
Powerheads
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 6, 2013July 6th, 2013, 5:05 am EDT
Lupe, it looks like we missed your rod question. I've become a fan of Temple Fork and Cabela's rods. Some of my wealthier brethren may, as I once did, look down on these less expensive rods, but they've served me well. I mostly fish a BT rod, but these are no longer available. Try to cast some different rods to see what feels right to you. Some consider an 8.5 foot 5 weight a good all around rod. I'm using longer rods (up to 10' for nymphing) generally, so I like a 9' rod. Perhaps someone familiar with the reel will suggest a line weight it will match with.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Gus
Gus's profile picture
colorado

Gus on Jul 13, 2013July 13th, 2013, 3:48 pm EDT
The Temple forks are great rods and at a great price. I'm going to agree with Martinlf, a 5 wt in the 8.5 to 9 foot range.
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com

Quick Reply