Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ogilvy
Alaska

Ogilvy on Sep 12, 2018September 12th, 2018, 4:12 pm EDT
I am new to fly fishing and am considering buying a 5 weight rod for rainbow trout and grayling fishing in Alaska. I have an old 1970's 8 weight right hand retrieve Pflueger Medalist and can't afford to buy a new reel. I am curious of whether I can load the reel with five weight line and put it on a five weight rod without too greatly interfering with the performance of the rod. The reel is not too heavy and I am just wondering if it would be awkward casting with a larger reel on a light rod.
Thanks in advance.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Sep 13, 2018September 13th, 2018, 1:10 am EDT
The reel should be fine on your lighter rod. If you want, you can get the Pflueger model # off the reel frame and go online and see what the manufacturer's recommended capacities are for line size and backing. A larger reel, like the Pflueger 1494 1/2 for example, will take a 5 wgt. line, you'll just need to put more backing on the spool to take up space not being used by the lighter line.

The only other possible (but unlikely..) issue I can think of is to be sure the reel foot will mount on your lighter rod. it almost certainly will, but put the reel on the rod first to be sure.

Finally, if $ for a new reel is a concern, don't automatically assume that you really need an expensive, high end reel for what you want to do. There are lots of lower priced reels that have decent drag systems that would probably work just fine for you. Look at any of these: Echo Base, Okuma Sierra or L.L. Bean Quest. All are decent, serviceable reels that will set you back less than $50. These are just a few. There are many more...

Good Luck!
Flyguide1
Flyguide1's profile picture
East Tn

Flyguide1 on Sep 13, 2018September 13th, 2018, 2:47 pm EDT
The size of the reel is how much line it will hold with backing.So yes an 8wght will hold more line and backing.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 13, 2018September 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm EDT
Lee, I use my old Okuma Sierra on my lightweight rods. Have landed a trout or two with them. Fine reel.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Serengeti
Serengeti on Dec 3, 2018December 3rd, 2018, 11:28 am EST
It might throw your balance off a bit but it will work.

Quick Reply